88. Brotherly Instincts (Harsh)

(Image ^: Harsh and Dee)

Driving onto the deserted road, I saw Viren posed with a pistol in his hand, while Dee was inside the car. Dev stood protectively in front of Dee, but in my panic, I only said, "Shambhavi – LOOK!!" 

I leaped out of the car even before it stopped moving and would have lost my balance had it not been for the adrenaline pumping through me. I was vaguely aware that Shambhavi got out too, followed by her colleagues. 

The second vehicle full of policemen were right behind us – and quite possibly on seeing them, Viren suddenly leapt forward and unlocked his car. 

Viren was quick to get in – but being as close to Dee as he was, I was impressed with Dev's presence of mind when he tried to open the door with great difficulty while Deeksha seemed frozen in her spot. I didn't blame her, but I couldn't have been more grateful for Dev's presence, than in that moment. 

Viren seemed completely frantic as he started the car, but could not get it moving quickly enough. Behind us, by the time the policemen in the second vehicle also alighted the Jeep, Dev had managed to pull Deeksha out of the door he had struggled to open and the two fell backwards without any major harm done to either. 

However, Viren landed up losing his control on the steering of the car in the process and while all of us watched, crashed into a tree by the side of the trail.

As the policemen rushed to help him out, Shambhavi and I ran to where Dee and Dev lay on the road. Dev had been groaning – but in the commotion, we couldn't have heard him. Up close, I could see how pale my sister looked and though she was breathing – she seemed to have lost consciousness. 

While I picked Dee up off Dev, Shambhavi helped him to his feet. The fall was not injurious to Dev, but he would have a few bruises on his back soon. One of the policemen called for ambulances, while they tried to get Viren out of the car. With a shattered windshield and ruined front, Viren was badly hurt in the crash but since the speed was minimal, it wasn't as bad as it could have been. 

We laid Dee in the back of the car we drove here in, while Dev was made to sit in the front despite his many protests that he was okay. Shambhavi retrieved a small bottle of water and splashed some on Dee's face and we called her name and shook her until she finally regained consciousness. Shambhavi then left to check on her colleagues.

"Harsh? Viren?" she asked, getting up – her voice raspy. Giving her a hug, I couldn't hide my relief at the fact that she was okay. It wasn't long before the 'elder-brother instinct' kicked in.

"Dee – sweetheart! Don't worry. You lie down – I know how stressful this was for you. Just relax for a bit – we'll sort this out okay?" I say to her, moving away a few strands of her hair out of her face. She nods and looks like she's on the verge of tears – but suddenly, looks up at me as if she remembered something. 

"Dev?" she asks and before I say anything, I hear a groan from the front of the car as Dev hauls himself out of that seat and plops onto the one next to Dee, though her back was still turned to him. Something in their equation had changed and that, I could tell. "I'm here" he said and ran his hand from the top of her head downwards, in a show of consolation. 

"Take care of her – the ambulance will be here soon. I need to go check on the others," I said to Dev – making clear who was in charge. Dev smirks at me in return, but I know we are on the same page. After all, I was being a prick by saying this instead of thanking him, for pulling Dee out of the car in the nick of time. 

"I'll come with you", he says and starts to get up – but the sudden one-eighty degree turn Dee makes to face him, tells me I shouldn't allow him to. 

"Dev – I am not arguing, but stay" I instruct. With an internal sigh for Dee's benefit, I also throw in, "I don't trust anyone else to be with Dee at the moment. So, please." 

Something in Dee's eyes or my words made him stay - I cannot say for sure. Regardless, for the first time in a long time, I thought he listened to me willingly.