21. Little Things... Aren't So Little (Deven)

'The things I do for the people I care for!' I thought to myself and mentally facepalmed myself. It was only on Nair Uncle's insistence that I agreed to do this. I had even written 'I'm Sorry' on a sticky note and put it on the tray with the rest of the goodies. I wished this girl would be like all the others who had thrown themselves at me throughout college. I mean – don't get me wrong – I didn't like it because it made me nervous. And yet, here I was, wishing I could get Deeksha to be as easily influenced by me, as they used to be.

Standing close to her, I cleared my throat. Deeksha turned around with a smile on her face, which fell the minute she saw me. "What is it?" she growled and it reminded me of every wrong I had ever done to people. Swallowing a lump in my throat, I sat on the chair next to hers after laying down the tray in front of me. Slowly, I edged the tray towards her and though initially, she huffed and turned away like a child, eventually she looked at what I was nudging towards her.

Something I didn't recognise flitted through her eyes and she asked me, "What is it?" for a second time, this time the smile wrinkles back around her eyes, though her face was serious. "I believe we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Bhalla", I said in a tone I had seen Tanay use with girls before. At this point, one half of my brain screamed "Oh you idiot!! Now she might think you're flirting with her!!!" while the other kept whispering, "This is the Grand Mother of ALL bad ideas."

"Hmm", she said. After a whole minute of silence, "So.. Are you going to say something? Or..." she trailed. This whole time, I was busy looking at anything but her – because I didn't want to make matters any worse if I could help it. Bringing back most of my charm at will, I said, "Let's turn over a new leaf. Not dwell on ANYTHING that has happened until now. If a day comes when we have to deal with any of these things, we shall do so as best as we can. What do you say, Deeksha Bhalla?"

At this, she laughed. Not a watery laugh. Not a fake laugh. Not even a polite, sophisticated laugh. This, was a merry, real laugh. Finally, not taking her eyes off the mug of hot chocolate, she said, "I think that is a splendid idea, Dev Sanghvi!" Reaching out to shake my hand, "Hi. I'm Deeksha Bhalla. Lovely to meet you" she said with a beautiful smile. 'Oh God! She has dimples!!' said a voice in my brain, but suppressing that, I returned her gesture saying, "Devendra Sanghvi. The pleasure is mine, Ma'am!"

Behind us, we heard three pairs of hands clapping in discord – and our turned heads Nair Uncle, Aunty and Sunil standing behind the counter with bright smiles on their faces.

"Shall we?" I asked Deeksha, to head over to them and at the same time, Uncle beckoned for us to meet them.

On reaching the counter, I saw that there were just twenty minutes left for nine and not one to be late, I realized I needed to hurry. "So... They have reconciled!" cheered Uncle. "Haha – Why do I feel he was not alone in this little gambit?" asked Deeksha like there had been no fight at all! 'Women!!!' exclaimed my head, but it was time to go. "Uncle, Aunty, as much as I'd like to stay, I have to be in office soon. Sunil, thanks buddy! Deeksha – genuinely nice to meet you. I hope I didn't spoil your morning. Work begins on next Tuesday and we are having the final meeting on Monday morning at my office. I'll drop the address with Uncle and Aunty later this week and see you then."

She nodded and smiled, but didn't say anything. Giving them a collective two-finger salute, I bent down to give Nair Aunty a kiss on the cheek and said, "Thanks for coffee, darling" with a wink before making it out of the café towards my car.

Oh what a crazy morning it has been! And this..... is just the beginning!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG YOU GUYS!!! IT WORKED!!!

So... Dee and Dev are getting a do over. But will this come to bite them in the wrong places in the future? 

Let us hope not!! 

But lesson learnt? When in doubt, serve a smiley hot chocolate! Image Above :D 

Okssss Bye!!