77. Burning Rome (Harsh)

(Image: Viren with the ladies - though I couldn't find an image where he's formally dressed. Sorry! Just - imagine a black blazer and white shirt, okay?)

Unbeknownst to everyone, including Deeksha and Alana, between Dev and myself, we had a small trap set up, into which we hoped to lure Viren. He had assumed the pseudo identity of "Kumar" and tricked Alana into believing that he was her fan and friend, while all along, making sure neither she nor the world ever came to know of the truth.

In a way, while I was glad that Dee had found him from the time he walked into the venue, I knew why Dev was so concerned. Who knew what Viren was capable of.

Inconspicuously, Dev and I switched on the two ear-pieces we had hidden in our clothes, which connected to recorders tucked away in our back pockets, procured for us by Iqbal Bhai and monitored by Shambhavi.

After we spoke to Iqbal Bhai and it was confirmed that Viren and Kumar were the same person, on Dev's suggestion, we had turned to Sub-Inspector Shambhavi - a distant cousin of Dev's for help.

She had heard our entire predicament out - and told us that while it was not possible for her to take any legal action without us being able to produce proof that Viren had indeed been behind this whole scheme. She instead, promised us all her personal support and hence, here we were, with our plan laid out.

Our phones buzzed with a message from her saying, "Signal: Green" and eventually, the two of us, pretending to be engaged in cheerful conversation, made our way to where Dee and Viren were talking to Ma and a few of the other women.

"Ah - there he is", said Ma as we approached them and Viren turned around with a dazzling smile on his face.

"This place looks out of the world, Harsh!! Even I wouldn't have been able to pull this off!" he said, hugging me.

"As always, Viren, you give me too much credit!" I say modestly. If only he knew!

"Hey - aren't you going to introduce us?" came Dev's voice from behind me and letting go of Viren, I did.

"Lovely to meet you, Deven!" said Viren as I explained to him that Deven was the brother of Vishwas.

"Please! You are the best event manager in the city. If anyone's, the pleasure is all mine", Dev said. I couldn't help notice that hard as Dev tried to maintain focus on us and everything else, his eyes kept darting to Dee.

"Viren - allow me to take you around and show you what we did. There was a slight change in the decoration plan I sent you yesterday to accommodate a few extra serving tables. Make sure it's okay before the food is served?" I asked.

This was Dev's cue to round Dee and Alana. I glanced at Dev's device while walking past him and leading Viren away from the group. I simply hoped mine was also on - or this entire plan would go down the drain.

Viren Kothari, for all that you've done, it's time to pay up; with interest - I thought to myself, explaining some crass detail of making more place at the back of the hall.