43. Nowhere To Hide (Deven)

(Image: Dev at "Hang Out")

Walking into the kitchen to give Alana and Deeksha some space, as I dealt with the whirlwing of emotions that spun within my head – I walked up to Snake asking if there was something I could do to help. Snake, being who she is, refused my help but didn't fail to ask me if everything was alright.

"I may have messed up, a lot – a long time ago", I said to her, unsure of what her reaction would be. When she didn't say anything, I said, "Snake?"

"No – wait. I'm thinking. Uh.. let's see – you said it was a long time ago. So.. It can't be all that unforgivable. Well, have you apologized yet?" she replied.

"Not entirely", I admitted, but didn't say anything else.

"Well, if you are anything like your brother, you won't want to talk about it just now. I know. But hey, if there's anything I can help with, feel free to reach out to me. Not as a sister or sister-in-law yet, but maybe as a friend instead?" Snake said.

"Of course. Thank you", I said with a smile and for the first time in a long time, I felt like my mother was around.

A call from the manager of our company interrupted our conversation and I stepped closer to the window while Snake finished up the porridge. I was engrossed in the conversation and didn't realize until I had finished it, that I was alone in the kitchen.

Stepping out, I hate to admit that I saw red, when I saw Deeksha slipping on a black turtleneck, while Snake explained that it was one of Vish's while Alana smirked at her. Sure enough – Deeksha did not look bad – but the fact that she was wearing someone else's clothes – even if that someone was Vish – was very unsettling. Moreover, it looked baggy and horrible on her. Maybe the blue jersey I have would look better on her?

I scold myself for the irrational drone of thoughts and decided to try diverting my attention to the other two ladies. To say I failed would be an understatement as Deeksha spoke up saying, "Sneh – your boyfrienf is a giant! Look at how loose this is!"

That she got an annoyed glare for that from Snake is less consequential than the fact that I cleared my throat and suggested that we get going. Of course, Snake asked myself and Alana if we wanted something to drink – but since both of us declined the offer, we decided to make a move.

Once in the car, Snake decided to drive, while I sat in the front with Deeksha and Alana occupying the back. I knew Deeksha wouldn't bring up our impending conversation in the presence of the other girls – and a thorough mix of dread and anticipation burned in my stomach throughout the ride. We had messaged Vish and Harsh to head over to a small café known for its quietness on the same side of town as my house and when we pulled into the parking, we could already see Rohini Aunty's car in the drive way.

Either Alana didn't notice or chose to ignore it – however, when we got inside, there was only one table occupied in the middle of the café, by Harsh Bhalla. She had visibly stiffened and I realized that it was not just Deeksha and I who had a difficult conversation ahead of us. Just as we all seated ourselves and Snake made polite conversation with Harsh and how he got there so fast, a second call from my manager made me excuse myself from the table.

Just as I was about to leave the room though, I was stopped in my tracks by a hand on my wrist. I looked down in surprise to see a very focused Deeksha Bhalla staring up at me intently. To say I was startled when she said, "Don't take too long. I'll be waiting", wouldn't be inaccurate. What's more, the menacing look of determination that shone in her eyes told me that now, I had nowhere to hide.