79. Rubik's Cube (Harsh)

(Hey Readers!

I'm really, really sorry about the lack of updates this week. I've been drowning in all kinds of work - corporate, start-up, eating, sleeping - you know.. All those adulty things I hate doing and even thinking about? Those.

As much as I want to walk up to a counter with a receipt and say, "Hey! I bought this adult personality from you a year ago - I tried it and realised it wasn't for me; I'd like to exchange it and take back my childhood, please?" - Yeah no. That's not happening.

So - this is probably going to be the only chapter this week; but OMG - things are getting heeeaaatteeedddd! XD

Any way - read, comment, vote and share.

Love y'all!

PS - In the image ^ is Viren Kothari)

I was just getting to explaining the change in the decoration plan to Viren, leading him away from the crowd towards a small balcony like area overlooking the garden. This area would give us the privacy needed for me to confront him - and also the quietness for the devices to record everything we say.

However, all my plans went flying out of the window when just as we both stepped into this sit-out, Alana came rushing towards us and spoke to Viren. "Kumar! I'm so glad you could make it!", she said.

Talk about awkward!!!

Fortunately, before he could answer, I asked him, "Wait - Viren... You know my girlfriend?" I wanted to slap myself for blurting that out but I didn't have time to dwell on it. I just sent up a few hundred prayers that Alana would play along for now.

"Viren? I think you have the wrong person, Harsh - this is Kumar - the fan-turned-friend I told you about? He's based out of Paris.. And I invited him to come today", said Alana. If it had been anyone else, I would have believed her pretence to be real - but Ally was smarter than that. If I could bet my money, this was her, trying to trap this guy.

"Ally..." I said with a chuckle, "Sweetie - listen.. I'm not the one who has it all wrong.. This is Viren. Viren Kothari, my boss. He is the owner of the company I work for and he is here to make sure everything is okay."

As I explain this, Viren stands with his back to the gardens past the railing of the area as Alana and I face him. Hence, hidden from his view, when Dee and Dev sprint across the outside of the garden, having heard the three of us come in and talk, I know that they will be back with reinforcements soon.

"Harsh.. please? Don't embarrass my guest?" Alana went on and we argued back and forth for a few minutes. This definitely worked to our advantage as Viren, an otherwise direct businessman, seemed to get irritated.

Finally, he shouted "Enough!! Both of you!"

Alana and I stopped to look at him. Clearly, he was furious about something.

"Alana - what rubbish! I asked you last week and you said you are not in a position to date anyone - and now, you suddenly tell me this guy is your boyfriend?" he snarls at her.

"Hey - hey.. Viren.. Chill," I say, stepping between the two, as Ally takes a couple of steps backwards.

"You are... Viren.. right?" I ask again but Alana says, "Hell No! You're Kumar!! Right?"

This, snaps something inside Viren. Breathing hard, he takes a one-eighty turn to face away from me and walks towards the railing, his fists clenched tightly.

"I'm right - Ally" I say, audibly, while she just contradicts me again.

"Idiots", Viren mumbles and turns to face us again.

"Excuse me?" defends Alana while, "Umm" is all I say.

"I'm not kidding - Both of you - you are idiots. You've been playing my game for so long and you don't even know it. Stupid children", Viren cusses.

"Okay - that's it. You know what? My friend Kumar would never say something like that. You're not Kumar", claims Alana, stepping up to stand by my side.

"What do you mean? You think my boss would say something like that? How can you make assumptions like that, Al!!" I quibble with her.

"STOP BOTH OF YOU. JUST STOP!!" screams Viren, walking up to us with inhuman speed. Up close, I see a sinister expression I have never seen before, deform his otherwise sharp features. We do as we are told and silently, I hope he doesn't do anything brash.

"My name - is Viren Kumar Kothari and I've been playing with your lives for a few years now. You, Alana Peterson, know me as your friend Kumar, while You.. You, my dumb little manager - you know me as your ever-inspiring boss! I worked this out with a lot of effort and scheming over the years. Whether you admit it or not, Alana and Harsh - if the two of you are together, there is only one thing left for me to do.. Destroy both of you" he growls, at both of us.

"You.. Wh.. Wha.. What?" asks Alana.

"Alana - think. I'm the only person you've ever told the entire truth of the restaurant review issue to. The one where you were so upset that you gave a false review for money. And Harsh... Harsh Bhalla. Who do you think tipped of Alana Peterson - the owner of AlSpeaks to cause the raid in your restaurant?" He asks, still too close to us to maintain personal space.

"Viren, wait - you were behind that?!?!?" I ask in the most pretence shock I could muster, while Alana just gasps and says, "Oh my God!"

"Yes.. I was - and I worked really hard to keep you two away from each other, all these years. But now, looks like I need to up my game. Luckily, this time, you have been warned," he says and tries to storm past us.

"Kumar...!!" called Alana before he left the door. He stopped and looked back at us - "Why?" was all she asked him.

"I don't know Alana - maybe you should ask your boyfriend why I hate him so much!" he says before walking - almost running - away from the party, without a single backward glance.

All at once, the pieces of the puzzle click together in my head.

I turn to Alana and say, "Al - we need to find Dee and Dev, now!"