34. The Devil Wears Converse (Harsh)

If my sister suddenly acting like my nemesis is her soulmate wasn't enough, Alana's casual stroll in white high-tops and a summer outfit, up to where I was plotting Dev's funeral from, did not help. It only added fuel to this fire. Worse, the smirk on her face which established that she enjoyed my misery, only made me see red further.

"Some seems a little thrown off," she commented casually and when I looked at her, tapping into every angry nerve in my body – any other normal person would have trembled. At least, flinched. But this, this – GIRL (for want of a worse word to curse her with), seemed unbothered about the figurative steam rising from every cell in my body.

"What..Do..You..Want..Alana?" I asked, gritting my teeth. This was one of those times I wished I could change into a monster at will, like they show us on screens. At this, she giggled and any restraint I harboured, broke at the incredulous nature of this girl – who was the one that set into motion the most miserable Sunday of my life and now, had the nerve to laugh when all I wanted to do was hit something to channel my anger.

In a fashion very unlike my normal self, I snapped at her saying, "Look. We had a conversation earlier and I know you took it casually. I don't know if you realize this but thanks to your little post, you successfully ruined my life. The raid – hell I don't know what kind of influence you have here that the Food Authorities actually listened to you – but because of your post and that raid, YOU RUINED MY DREAM. MY RESTAURANT. I have no idea what I have done to make you this upset with me – when I haven't even met you before today. LOOK LADY – I know now that you're related to me in some sick, twisted joke the universe is playing on me – but under no circumstances do I want you to mistake that you can try and get all friendly with me like nothing ever happened. LIKE I AM NOT ENTITLED TO A LICENSE FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS, THANKS TO YOUR LITTLE STUNT, owner of Alspeak." I knew my voice had risen and fallen over the course of this outburst and that everyone – even the adults were now staring at us.

I couldn't believe myself as I walked away from her towards our car. I wanted to get away – take a break – not see any of these people. I didn't care that my mother's voice called out to me on more than one occasion as I walked away. I didn't care that Dee was running after me. And I sure as hell didn't care that as I said the last of my words, a tear had rolled down Alana's cheek – whether she realized it or not. I didn't. Atleast, that's what I kept telling myself. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dev was right. Wow. Harsh really blew it - didn't he? I can almost imagine someone screaming this at me. I'd have either punched them or cried. LOL. 

Anyway - the next chapter holds a few surprises, I hope. I'll see y'all soon. 

Until next time :D 

PS -  PLEASE hit vote and add Unfazed to your Public Reading Lists? Why? Because A) it makes me happy. B) More people will get to know about this book C) It makes me happy... did I say it makes me happy? Okie. Thanks. Byes.