36. Talk About Awkward? (Deeksha)

When orders come from a source of authority, you don't question them. Watching Ma and Harsh drive away with Ma at the wheel, I looked over at Vishwas talking to Varun Mama and his father, while Sneha and Diana Mami were talking to Alana. Wait.. She wasn't crying, was she? Oh no.

I began walking towards them when I heard, "So... Dots, huh?" and I turned to see a very amused Dev looking at me like a curio on display. "Dev – really? This scene isn't enough already or what?" I asked, almost groaning out the question.

"Miss, if you will excuse me.. I don't remember being the one who wanted to get back at Harsh", he said cheekily. When I didn't say anything, he added, "Wait – you are a Miss.. right?" and at this I screamed "Dev!!" which got him laughing.

"Okay! Okay! I call truce" he finally said, gaining composure before repeating, "So.. Dots?" like he was unsure if he had heard it right.

"You don't give up, do you?" I asked, shaking my head in exasperation. A well-intended smile confirmed my doubts and I hated the fact that I noticed the weekend stubble he sported.

Finding no reason to hide something so trivial, I explained, "I had a phase, growing up – I think I was eight.. or nine; I can't say – when I was obsessed with polka dots. As decoration, on clothes – hell I even asked for a Dalmatian puppy!" I paused with a chuckle and looked up to ensure he was still with me before continuing, "And.. around that time, Ma came up with Dots as a nickname for me, short for daughter. I must say, I was very happy to be called dots until I became a teenager and started finding it annoying."

"I see – so Ms Bhalla here, has a dot fetish" he chuckled, while I fumed.

"Hey!" I retorted. "I used to like them – I still do; but no, they are not a fetish... Not that your pea-sized brain will understand that!" emphasising wherever necessary.

"Sure Darling.. Whatever you say!" he said and before I knew it, he was away with Vish and his father while I slowly trudged up to Sneh and Mami – still trying to calm a weeping Alana.

I didn't quite notice Diya standing there quietly, but she came up to me and said, "Lady bug – Mumma told me to tell you I'm okay. You didn't gimme a boo boo." I didn't know what to do so I just smiled and nodded, thanking her for telling me.

Oh.. right. I had completely forgotten about her little accident which I'd have been responsible for. Wait – Sneha had said her boyfriend's brother had caught me in the nick of time.

As realization dawned on me, I looked over to Dev who seemed to be discussing something with Varun Mama. I hadn't realized I seemed creepy until he looked up to meet my gaze and I had to look away. Wait a minute. Why was I feeling flustered about this little interaction from across 25 metres?

Choosing to focus on the matter at hand, I stepped closer to the three (four including Diya) ladies and cleared my throat. Alana, who had been saying something amidst sobs until then, suddenly went quiet. Talk about awkward!

"Alana – hey.. Listen.. I came here to apologize on my brother's behalf. I am so so sorry but you have to believe me when I say he is not usually like that. I am partly responsible for his anger – I shouldn't have been petty and aggravated him. Else, he wouldn't have had to snap at you. It sucks – Big Time – that our first meeting is like this. Please – forgive us?" I said, not knowing what else to do.

Usually, when you apologize to someone like this, you expect them to say "It's okay" or something reassuring like that. But Alana, just started crying with more emotion – almost as if I'd hit her with a frying pan. I mean – come on!

Cursing in an un-lady-like fashion under my breath, I said, "Alana – Please? Please stop crying?! IF not, at least tell me what I can do to make it better" while the girl just kept sobbing into her mother's shoulder. Not sure of what to do, I just waited, until she finally came around and decided to look up at me, after Mami's constant consolation.

"Dee-ksha" she said, her voice strained and breaking, "It's not your fault. Or his. For what I did to him, I deserve this." Excuse me?!?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sitting here cringing. Not gonna lie. 

I want to keep writing - but doggo and kitteh photos on Pinterest are at fault. 

See y'all soon!! 

PS - HIT THE STAR (somewhere on your screen depending on the device) COZ YOU IS NICE!