47. You Too, Brutus? (Deeksha)

(Image: An old photo of an angry Ganesh Bhalla.... Yikes?)

Climbing out of the cab that I had booked from the café where Harsh and Dev had more than happily stranded me, to deal with a not-so-subtly sorry Alana and a relatively normal Sneha, I was taken aback, to say the least when I saw my two deserters sitting outside the house, with only the porchlight on. Alana and Sneha had still been waiting for Vish and I couldn't not know what was going on – so I called Ma. All she said was, "They got here. You probably should too."

Walking closer, I saw that neither of them met my eyes and that Dev had a slight tinge of black on his cheek, close to his cupid's bow. And.. he had an ice pack pressed, generally, to the left side of his face. Did I add that he looked miserable?

"Dev.. What happened to you?" I enquired, not bothering to hide the concern in my voice. He mumbled "Nothing" and continued to stare into the night that was setting in.

"I did. I happened," said Harsh and this time, nothing could conceal my shock. "YOU PUNCHED HIM?!?!?!" I shrieked and before either Dev or Harsh could say anything, the door opened and there stood Ma, looking cross at life in general.

"That's enough, all of you. Get inside – Dev and Harsh – provided you have made peace", she said, stepping out of the way to let me enter. "We have" said Harsh at the same time as Deven said, "Yes Aunty."

"Okay – Good. Dining room, now," she ordered and turned on her feet to march back into the house.

"Damn.... I missed the Queen's orders," whispered Dev and Harsh landed up chucking and punching him in the arm lightly. Letting out a cuss word I wouldn't like to repeat, all three of us walked into the dining room after Ma, who had laid out three scoops of ice-cream – chocolate ice-cream.

"Oh – Gods. I am famished. Ma.. I had a little hypoglycaemic episode today and Sneh made me porridge when we went to her house.. and Alana did the post thing for money and..." tumbled out from my mouth, in between my bites while Harsh and Dev dug in, rather peacefully. I chose to ignore the 'highly amused, one eyebrow raised' look plastered on Dev's face the entire time and in bits and pieces, with inputs from Harsh – out poured everything that happened through the day.

On recounting things at a slower pace after we finished our icecream, Ma made us pause the story and served all of us dinner and we continued telling her everything. I was on the second helping of rice when I was convinced that we were finished and sure enough, Ma had been attentive, the entire time.

"So.. Alana did it for money; we don't know who made her do it; Dev and Harsh are back – and hopefully for good – and this is the first proper meal you've eaten today. Correct?" asked a voice from the entryway into the dining room and I looked up to see Papa standing there with a rather disconcerted expression. Flinching at the harshness in his tone, I knew I would be told off today for sure, but all I did was say "Yes, Papa", fondling the charms of my bracelet. "I will speak to you about this.. but later", came the verdict and I heaved a sigh of relief, happy to be safe for now.

"Umm.. Dee.. There is a request I need to make", said Harsh, after Papa had left the room. "Hmm?" I urged, waiting to hear what it is. "Ahem.. Umm... Dev and I... we've kinda made up," He began and I said, "Yes – and a blind man could see that, but thanks for spelling it out," I retorted.

"No! No. Dee. Listen.. please?", he said. "Okay – fine", I grumbled before letting him continue.

"There is something that I need your help with," He said again and this time, it was Dev who spoke up, "Goddamn – Just tell her man." Surprised, I was not prepared for what came out of Harsh's mouth in an almost incomprehensible string, when he said, "Please work for Deven for six months? He is helping me track down the person who ruined my restaurant."

It took me a whole minute of silence to let this register and when it did, I did the only rational thing I could think of. I screamed my head off.