10. Unforeseen Complications (Deven)

As the meeting wrapped up, I was jittery about meeting Tanay. Ever since we met at the airport and realized we were going to the same university abroad, years ago, we have been close. Now, Tanay often knew me, better than I knew myself. Four years in the Architecture and Management Course I took and his, in Design and Marketing, had ensured that. Of course, we had our own friend circles – rather Tanay did, while I chose to be more of a loner; but our friendship transcended social groups and university schedules. Thus, when Tanay's family business needed a new office space due to expansion, our company had been the first option they considered.

However, if I had known that all of that would lead to the rapid fire questioning I was about to undergo, I wouldn't have agreed to it. No – I'm kidding. The two companies had very similar ideals and the collaboration had a lot of business potential.

When I zoned back in to the meeting, I heard my father say to Mehra Uncle, "Mehraji – the official business is over now. But I must engage you in some personal business. Please join us for dinner tonight at Vishwas' place?" Mehra Uncle laughed out loud and said, "You call it personal and then you sound so formal, Raj! Tanu, just call Kumar and ask him to check my schedule for tonight. If it's nothing important, cancel it", he said turning to Tanay. Giving me the stink eye but with a "Ji Papa", Tanay left the room. That was when Papa turned to me and said, "Beta Dev, I want you and Tanay to attend dinner too". Now, Tanay couldn't corner me for a long time. Hopefully, long enough to forget about this.

Walking into Vishwas's house four hours later, I was the last one to arrive or so I thought when I saw the elders spread on the sofas in the living room. Mehra Uncle, his wife and my father were laughing away like old timers and I didn't want to interrupt. Greeting everyone, I was just taking off my shoes at the entrance, when Papa called out to me, "Tanay and Vish are in the kitchen – Vish is cooking. Go help them."

Having grown up without a mother, Papa had always insisted that both of us – Vishwas and I – knew how to cook as well as do all the household chores. Even when Ma had been alive, I still remember Papa helping her do the laundry and dusting on Sundays. So while I could survive on my own, Vishwas had always had a flair for cooking – which he nurtured despite his career as a talented stock broker. Both needed gut instinct he said: the amount of each ingredient in a dish as well as when to buy or sell a stock.

Walking into the dining room, I saw the table laid beautifully – but unlike the usual six places, there were seven sets today. I thought I was mistaken, so I counted again. Seven. "Bhaiya – is someone joining us tonight?" I asked but he only said, "In here Dev!"

The kitchen was a mess, a usual for Vish. Tiptoeing past various unused pots and pans, I saw Tanay making drinks for the elders at one end and my brother, standing at the cooking range. Marvellous as my brother was at making the food, he was so used to clutter and chaos that his kitchen too, was no different. Growing up, he was always the one that cooked – while I was the one that cleaned up. I was somewhat organized from the beginning. Sort of.

"What are we having Vish?" I asked, helping myself to one of the mojitos that Tanay had just made. "Put that down, you scum!!" he screamed, but I simply ignored him. Laughing at our antics, Vish shook his head before listing "Aloo Paratha, Fried Rice, Raita and Custard for dessert". I was stunned – this spread was elaborate, even for Vish.

Tanay voiced my thoughts when he said, "Vishwashesh Sanghvi. Master Stock Broker during day. Master Chef at night! What are we celebrating?" Vish just laughed at his outburst, and said – "Oh nothing". He pointed at the ready dishes and Tanay and I took them out to the dining room. Just as Vish brought out the last dish, the doorbell went off again.

Before Vish took off to open the door, he looked at us and said, "You guys should come too. You Don't want to miss this. Trust me."

By the time Tanay and I made it to the living room, there was a pretty girl standing in there. Taking a deep breath, she said, "Hello everyone. I am Sneha. His girlfriend", looking at Vishwas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't see that coming at all, lol. To be honest, this end-idea surprised me too.

In other news, the guy in the pic is...... Tanay Mehra. :O 

Fun best friend? Or troublemaker? 

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough!