25. Versions Of Me, You'll Never Know About (Harsh)

I had just finished greeting everyone who had already reached when I felt the bottom of my shirt being tugged. Looking down, I saw the little girl who had been in Varun Mama's hands when I first got out of the car with Ma, leaving Dee sleeping in the back. Wait.. What was her name again? Soya? Siya... Diya. Yes. Mama had told me.

She was smiling shyly at me and I said, "Hey there" bending down to her level. "Hi...." She said, swinging around her body from side to side like only a five year old in a strawberry printed dress can. "Yes, little lady?" I asked, smiling at her, but not knowing what to say. "Ladybug is awake" she said. "What? Sorry?" I asked, very confused.

"Sneha Didi told me that the Didi in the car is ladybug. I saw. She has red and white white white", she said. Wait... Car. Red and White. I realised Diya was talking about Dee when I remembered what she was wearing. Lady Bug. What a lovely name! Why hadn't I thought of this before?!?! I cursed myself.

For someone who usually hated kids of all shapes and sizes, I really liked this one. She was a useful ally against Deeksha if I could use her well, I thought to myself. Shaking my head at how cruel I sounded, I asked Diya "So where is your lady bug?" She took my hand and began dragging me forward excitedly when she suddenly stopped and asked, reaching her hands out "Will you carry me?"

Since I hadn't ever carried a child like her before, I was a little unsure but I picked her up and placed her on my left arm the way I had seen Papa hold kids in the past. I didn't seem to be hurting her because she was smiling as she put her hands around my neck and said, "You are tall" like it was the only approval I needed in the world.

"So.. Where is Ladybug?" I asked again, thoroughly enjoying Dee's new name. "There. With Sneha Didi" said Diya. "You know, I have one more Didi", she said. "Oh wow!", I exclaimed though the smarter half of my brain wanted to slam itself into a wall. "I have no Didis" I continued. "Oh.." was all Diya said, looking serious suddenly. Oh no! Had I said something wrong? She smiled again suddenly and said to me, "It's okay. You can have my other Didi."

Letting go of a breath I hadn't realised I was holding, afraid that I had said something foolish to the first kid I really liked, I laughed. "Thank you Diya!!" I said. By now, I could see (and hear) Deeksha and Sneha squealing, hugging each other, letting go and squealing again – in a loop. Girls. Never could understand them wholly – not even the one I grew up with.

Taking a chance, I whispered in Diya's ear, "I want you to shout Ladybug as loudly as you can, okay Diya?". Turning to me and giggling, she finally screamed Ladybug and that got my two crazy sisters out of their frenzy. While Dee was selectively eccentric and headstrong, Sneha had always been the crazy, outspoken kid. Living without her mother for a few years had done nothing to curb that and when I looked at her, I saw the same girl who had walked up to me when we were six and five respectively and punched me in the face for having made Dee cry for something.

Smiling at the memory, I could see Dee's jaw drop when she saw the kid in my arms. Clearly, a sight she had never seen before. "Look at that!! Our Macho man is a softy!!" laughed Sneha – always saying the first thing that came into her head. "I don't believe this", mumbled Dee, still overcome by shock at seeing me with my arms full in the most innocent way possible. "What? He's a natural dad!" Sneha said, still laughing. Defending myself, I said to both of them, "You peeps are just jealous she likes me as soon as she has met me!" turning to smile at Diya.

Diya laughed at this and rested her head on my shoulder. Though I was surprised, both Dee and Sne said extended "Awwwwwwws" – so I assumed this was a good thing. "She has promised me that I can have one of her Didis" I told both of them. Getting the cue, Sneha continued, "Oh! Really? Will you give me away?" she asked Diya, her voice full of sadness.

"Noooo" said Diya, getting up again. "You are half my Didi – Alana Didi is my full Didi. So I will give half Alana Didi to him" she explained.

"Aha! Whom are you planning to give me away to, Cookie Monster?" came a voice from behind us and I turned to see the most striking face I had seen in a long time, walk up to us with a big smile on her face, while Diya began struggling to get out of my hands and jump into hers. Wait a minute.. I have heard this voice before. Haven't I?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me tight now

Me tight now. Hahahaha.

More importantly, how does he know her? 

Omgosh! Spy work begins. 

Also,  I can see you reading my work - but I need more votes! Come on people! We can do this - haha! Plisss? 

PS - how cute is Diya man!!! <3 <3  (image above)

Adios!