19. The Spineless Truth Or The Strength Of A Lie (Deven)

Watching Deeksha have a little rant session at my face was a sight I had never imagined to be entertaining or amusing. Of course, while Deeksha was a "No-Nonsense" person, the little speech made it difficult to believe that she was even capable of harming another. Yet, something that shone in her eyes when thought she had said too much, made me involuntarily honest about being surprised at seeing her here too.

Insisting that I call her by her first name rather than her surname – I had to smile at the ease with which her name seemed to roll off my tongue now. Years ago, talking to her, made me tremble with fear. Over time, after a series of incidents, it became guilt. Haunting Guilt.

I didn't initially see the hinting gleam in Suil's eyes when he brought out our drinks as we spoke. As I said, "Thanks" to him still reminiscing the past, his pointed stare at me and a barely-hidden smirk reminded me of our conversation earlier. Had I known the girl I had enquired about was Deeksha, I wouldn't have asked at all!

Observantly, Deeksha did not fail to ask me what Sunil's grin was all about. Dismissing her question casually, I was trying to figure out how best to progress with our little predicament of working together, when I heard her call my name.

To say that a shiver went down my back when she said "Dev" would be no exaggeration. The only other female voice to have ever uttered that name for me, was my mother. All the others always called me Deven. Even Nair Aunty. Some of the men close to me call me Dev – not women.

Deeksha was explaining how she didn't know about my past with her brother and what this project meant to her. She also went on to say that until I proved otherwise, I had her trust.

Trust. That little word that seemed to make everything so complicated. Trust. I had to let this girl know that no matter what, she couldn't trust me completely. Shouldn't. And while I promised her that we would do our best to collaborate, I told her that her brother was right.

I expected her to be confused, but I didn't expect her to hear my whisper to myself, "You should stay away from me."

Shock. Worry. Confusion and anger took over the otherwise smiling face of Deeksha Bhalla. I could have dealt with all of those, but what I couldn't, was the unfathomable sadness that crept into her eyes. As if she couldn't bear the thought of my hostility. Okay – now, I was certain my mind was playing tricks on me and reading too much into the situation.

"Dev," she said, slowly, steadily and I couldn't help feel the goose-bumps rise again. I had to stop this. Immediately. "Ms Bhalla," I said, but caught myself in time and continued, "Deeksha – see. I get that you don't know why Harsh and I don't get along. But you know that we don't. So, maybe you should respect that – at least for your brother's sake. Truth be told, having you on board for the renovation of this café is a curve-ball I didn't see coming. I want to make this work – I do. But let us wait for a few weeks once the work begins to figure out just how well we can work together; because assuming we don't, both will have a problem and if that happens, one of us will have to step down from the job."

She went from aggrieved to angered as I spoke, but a cold determination had taken over her face. "Of course, Mr Sanghvi," she said in a clipped, brutally professional tone, "I am with you there. Please let me know of when the work is scheduled to begin and we can take things forward accordingly."

A little surprised by the sudden change in her mannerisms and persona, I leaned forward to ask, "Deeksha – are you alright?" worry dripping from every word I spoke. "I most certainly am", she snapped, "Thank you for asking. But, Mr Sanghvi – I will remind you this. I did not 'choose' to work with you either. If this turns out well, I will be glad. If it doesn't, from the look of it, I will be happier." Grabbing her cup, and unaware of my lingering confusion, Deeksha said, "Now if you will excuse me, I need to look around the café. Good day to you, Sir."

With that, she was out of my sight. Better yet, I had no idea of what I had said wrong!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! :D 

What could have triggered Deeksha? I'm guessing that the women readers I have, know. Don't ask me how, but women know. Just know. Even what they don't, they do. Confused, Men? Haha!

Above is a pic of Dev looking out of the window, unsure of what went wrong. Poor thing!

Wait for the next bit to find out who's fault this was!

Okie - BYYYYYEEE! 

PS - I am not generalising anything when I make any of my statements. Don't be a wuss and take offence at the drop of a hat. If you do, don't feel the necessity to mention it okay? xo