13. Two Lefts Don't Make a Right (Harsh)

When I knew Ma was on the verge of revealing the story of Dev and myself to Dee, I was flabbergasted. Of course, it has been years – but this is probably the only part of my life kept hidden from Dee. And I didn't want her to judge me or look at me any differently because of one, isolated incident.

I drove around the city for a few hours – windows down, music turned off, in solitude. The only times I stopped were to buy a bottle of water and to let an old lady cross a lane – besides signals. By the time I decided to go back, the sun hung low on the horizon and my stomach grumbled. Calmer, I decided to go home, hoping that I wouldn't have to face Dee immediately.

However, as luck would have it, pulling into the driveway, I saw Dee sitting on the steps that led to the main door – and if there was anything I knew about Dee's expressions, I knew this was not sadness. Or anger. Or hatred. Or any of the negative emotions I expected. Instead, she looked hopeful. What about, only the heavens knew.

Getting out of the parked car, I walked up and sat next to her. To our right was a short parapet and our grandma's garden. When our grandmother was alive, she had planted all sorts of herbs, fruits and vegetables and after her, under Ma's care, they had flourished. Not wanting to break the silence myself, I just stared at the different plants until I heard Dee draw in a breath and tell me, "Harsh – I don't know anything."

Taken aback, I said, "Dee" in shock, only to have her hold up a hand to stop me. "Harsh, I don't know anything, as in, I do know that there was some major fight between you and Dev and that you are not on good terms anymore. Haven't been, for a long time now," she narrated, while I simply nodded. "Harshu, I get that you didn't want to tell me at that time – and I'm assuming that it was to protect me or someone else. And... that's okay. If you ever want to tell me, I'm always here to listen. I just wanted you to know that."

Wow. Okay. Ma didn't tell her anything, except the boy's name. But wait – how does Dee not remember him? Putting that aside for now, I spoke quickly. "Dee. Thank you. And.. I'm sorry if I upset you," I pleaded. "It's okay – though I would have preferred to hear that you weren't on good terms with him, from you. I heard it from Ma, but it's okay," she said sweetly.

"Who are you and what have you done to my evil sister – the bane of my existance?" I asked in the most serious tone ever. She pouted, punched me on the arm and said, "Hey – Watch it!"

Before I could answer, we heard the laughter of women from inside the house. Not one to lose the chance, I asked Dee, "Please tell me witches are not in the house?" referring to the code name we had given to the ladies of my mother's social group who had nothing better to do than gossip and make life miserable for the others. "Shhhh – Sicko!!!" said Dee, giggling. "Actually, yes they are – and they have invited us to some picnic thing this Sunday," she said after settling. "What?!?! NOOOOOOOOO!" I said, pretending to have been shot and falling down dead. No longer able to contain her laughter, Dee said, "I'm kidding. The picnic is real – it's a family thing. Varun Mama has come from the UAE with Diana Mami. So, it's us, them and apparently, Sneha's boyfriend's family."

"Whoa whoa. One minute. Varun Mama is here. So is his wife – then his other kids must be here too. Wow – we've never met them right?" I asked. "Nope", said Dee, popping the 'p' like she used to when we were little. "And SNEHA – a BOYFRIEND?!" I asked, my voice rising with the last word. "Calm down, Rodeo", said Dee, "And yes; to all your questions. I don't know much, but we have to attend. Queen's orders", before mock-saluting towards the house at our mother inside.

Chuckling to myself, I didn't expect any more surprises, until Dee quietly continued, "Also..." Immediately, I knew she was struggling to say something. So, I did the most natural thing I could think of – poking her right knee with my index finger. "Okay – okay. I'll tell you. I bought a muffin at the fair today, but I forgot about it in the fiasco."

But before she could finish, I was up and running, looking back at her only to call out, "Last one in the kitchen is a rotten EGG!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!

The image is of Grandma's garden. Nice? 

I love how mature Dee is when she needs to be. But how much longer can Harsh hide his secret for?

Find out soon! ^_^