Pain

Hanna stood staring down at her friends as she processed the scene. Why? Why today? Why her? Why me? Her face showed that she was desperately trying to hide her heartbreak. As she studied the situation the amount of solutions norrowed down.

"Kepner!" Hanna called not taking her eyes off of Eliza.

"Yeah!?" She called back from a could of feet away.

"Call the hospital and tell them to send another surgeon," she called back as she went to step forward.

"Are you serious? Now?" Kepner asked in disbelief as she couldn't see what was going on.

"Yes, I'm serious," Hanna told her forcefully looking up at her for the first time.

"Do you need help or something? Oh," Kepner asked as she rounded the car and spotted Eliza.

"No I need you to call the hospital."

"Okay."

Carefully, Hanna knelt down next to Eliza's head and readjusted it so it lay on her thigh. Gently, she stroked Eliza's hair as she held in her tears.

"I say I didn't wanna see you again today," she joked trying desperately to keep her voice steady.

"Then piss off," Eliza said with a wheezing cough as a little blood came out of her mouth.

"Okay, don't move," Hanna said with a shaky voice trying to keep Eliza steady.

"I don't think I'm going anywhere," Eliza smiled wincing as she did so.

A single tear escaped from Hanna's eye, she quickly tried to hide it by lowering her head but it didn't work.

"Really nothing you can do?" Eliza asked quietly as her eyes try and shut but she faught to keep them open.

"No," Hanna told her, her voice cracking with pain, "I can let you say goodbye though. I'll call your mom and we can tell them together."

Eliza nodded weakly as Hanna grabbed her mobile and called Mrs. Minnick.

------

"No," Mrs Minnick said through the phone, "don't screw with me on this kiddo."

"I swear to God I'm not," Hanna told her a so escaping as she spoke.

"Oh God," Eliza's mother sobbed as she accepted the news, "Li, Li baby are you there?"

"Mom," Eliza said weaky as she spoke down the phone, "Mommy I love you."

"I love you too Eliza," Mrs Minnick sobbed as she tried to get words out in these precious moments, "and baby I am so damn proud of you. You shaped  doctors of tomorrow, you save so many lives. And your dad and I love you so much, okay."

"Okay, do it," Eliza said to Hanna fear covering her voice.

"Okay, you know I love you too right?" Hanna told her not wanting to do what was coming next with every cell she owned.

"More than anything," Eliza almost whispered, life disappearing.

"Okay, so I'm gonna move her," she told Eliza's mom who was still on the other side of the phone, "she'll probably scream cause this is gonna hurt but it will be over in seconds and I will be here by your side for every one of them."

More tears fell from Hanna's eyes as she prepared to lose her best friend. Eliza nodded at her to reassure her that she was doing the right thing. Reluctantly, Hanna grabbed a hold of Eliza's shoulders and shifted her to she was laying on her lap. Hanna held Eliza as tight as she could in her arms as she died. After Eliza had gone limp Hanna burst out into floods and floods of tears. She could remember a time where she didn't know Eliza, she didn't know how she was gonna live now that she didn't have her by her side. It was just getting back to normal after she had lost Nathan and now this. How was this fair?