Newbie (2)

Y/N's P.O.V

~LATER AT THE BONFIRE~

"Light 'em up"We all cheered as the bonfire burst into flames.I laughed at the glader's silly antics, the dancing, the music, the terrible jokes. My eyes wandered over to Gally who was flexing as he got ready to fight. He smirked at me making me roll my eyes. I spotted Newt and greenie talking in the corner and walked over.

"Hey guys"I slipped down to greenie's other side as they greeted me"Well, that was one hell of a first day"I patted Greenie on the back as Newt chuckled and handed him a jar of Gally's drink.

"Here, put some hair on your chest."Greenie took the jar and drank a gulp before immediately spluttering and spitting it out.We laughed as he coughed and handed the jar back.

"Oh my god! What is that?"

"I don't even know. It's Gally's recipe. Trade secret" Newt grinned as we looked back to see Gally starting his game.

"Yeah, he's still an asshole"Greenie muttered as I glanced at Newt.

"He saved your life today"I pointed out to Greenie"Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place"We stared at the Gates.

"We're trapped here aren't we?"

"For the moment"Newt sighed"But"Newt turned around and pointed to Minho"See those guys by the fire.They're runners.That guy in the middle, that's Minho. He's the keeper of the runners, ____ is one herself"Greenie looked at me as I nodded.

"Every morning, when those doors open, we run the maze, mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out"I repeated what Minho told me to say about running.

"How long have you guys been looking?"

"Three years"Newt glanced down.

"And they haven't found anything?"

"It's a lot easier said than done" I scoffed, turning back.

"Listen"Newt shushed as we heard the clicking and clanking of metal"It's the maze, changing.It changes every night"

"How's that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here, if you ever meet the bastards"I said sarcastically making Newt chuckle.

"Listen, the truth is...the runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They are the strongest and the fastest of us all"Newt glanced at me making me blush"And it's a good thing too, because if they don't make it back before those doors close...then they're stuck out there for the night. And no one has survived a night in the maze"I sighed and took a gulp of the drink.

"What happens to them?"

"We call them Grievers"Greenie looked at me as I rested my arms on my knees"Of course, no one's ever seen one and lived to tell about it. But they're out there" There was a silence as we stared back at the Maze.

"Right, well that's enough questions for one night, C'mon"Newt leaned on the log and stood up"You're supposed to be the guest of honour"

"C'mon, we'll show you around"I leaned out a hand to Greenie, smiling softly. He took it and I helped him up before Newt began to tell him about the different jobs and who did them.
"And there we got the builders"Newt pointed out as Gally flipped a glader over"They're very good with their hands but not a lot going on upstairs"I rolled my eyes and slapped Newt's chest with the back of my hand.

"Hey! I'm a part time builder"

"I stand by what I said"Newt winked"And then we got Winston, he's the Keeper of the Slicers. And we got two med-jacks; Clint and Jeff"They waved at us as we passed by them"They spend most of their time bandaging up the slicers"