The last city

Y/N'S POV

We bolted through the tunnel, firing shots to keep the cranks at bay. We slowed down when we saw a mass of them gathering ahead of us. No matter what way we turned, we were surrounded.

"Thomas, what now?"I shouted over our firing bullets. Just then a large truck came roaring and Brenda popped overhead, shooting at the Cranks. We jumped in and Jorge drove away, running the cranks down.

"I'm impressed"Jorge said as we exited the tunnel"You guys, almost lasted a whole day"Brenda turned away to shake her head at us.

"I'm sorry"Thomas panted"I didn't wanna bring you guys into this"

"I think what he's actually trying to say is thanks for saving us"Frypan interjected.

"You're welcome"Brenda rolled her eyes.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up"Jorge looked at us through the rearview mirror"That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense. If that was overrun, chances are the city is too"

"Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out"I pointed out my window at something that had caught my eye making Jorge stop the truck with a jerk. We scrambled out to look at the shiny metallic city lying just ahead of us.

"Funny"Newt began"Spent three years trapped behind walls trying to break out and now we wanna break back in"

"Yeah, it's hilarous"Frypan scoffed.

"Jorge, how do we get to it?"Thomas squinted at the city.

"Don't look at me, hermano"Jorge took off his gloves"Those walls are new. I guess that's WICKD's answer for everything"

"Well, we ain't gonna figure it out from up here"Brenda ushered us all back into the truck.

"You really think he's in there?"I asked Thomas.

"Guess we'll have to find out"Thomas sighed.

"You know she's gonna be there too"Newt added making Thomas look at him.

"Yeah I know"

~LATER IN THE CITY~

"Keep close to me _____"Newt muttered, keeping his hand on the small of my back"We need to be careful"

"We'll be okay Newt"I smiled softly at him as we made out way through the bustling streets. It still weirded me out seeing this many people in one place.

"This place has really gone through hell"Jorge caught up to Thomas.

"We just gotta stay together"Thomas directed. 

"We are the voice of the voiceless!"We turned to see a man yelling in a loud speaker while a truck drove him through the streets"They hide behind their walls, thinking they can keep the cure for themselves while they watch the rest of us wither and rot!"One of the masked soldiers stared down at me as they passed by and I found my gaze locked onto the blank mask. I don't know why but looking at that soldier made a shiver run through me"But there are more of us than are of them"People cheered as they drove away, still yelling into the loudspeaker. I stared after the soldier who was still looking in my direction but I was pulled away by Newt who pointed upwards to the helicopters.

"We need to keep moving"I nodded, holding onto his hand and we made our way by sticking to more covered streets. We found our way to where dozens of people were crowded yelling to be let in.

"That's it. That's our way in"Thomas pointed ahead to where the people were banging on the huge gated walls.

"Thomas!"Jorge yelled over the roar of the crowd as we pushed our way through them"This is not what you're looking for.All these people trying to find their way in, you think you're gonna find something they can't?"

"We came this far. I'm not turning back now"Thomas yelled back. I clenched Newt's hand tightly, making our way through the angry crowd to the front of the gate. I tried to ignore the hairs that have been rising since I saw the soldier and focused on not getting lost in the crowd.

"What the hell did we get ourselves into?"Frypan said as Brenda grabbed his hand to keep us together.

"Get out of my way! Get out!"Jorge yelled, making room for us at the front. People were hurling garbage and rocks at the gates. I saw Newt keep glancing backwards with a confused look.

"Newt?"I squeezed his hand to get his attention"What is it?"He didn't answer, instead looking to his left. I followed his gaze to see a man holding a gun and wearing a gas mask, walking in stride with us. Newt tightened his grip on my hand and we walked faster towards Frypan and Brenda.

"Hey guys, we gotta go now"Newt grabbed Jorge and Thomas"Look"He pointed behind us to where the soldier from the truck was shoving his way through the crowd to us. We looked around us to see gas masked soldiers coming from all directions. I placed my hand on my gun but suddenly there was a deep metallic creaking, silencing everyone. We saw large cannon guns being charged and aimed our way making everyone run away shouting.

"Let's go! Let's go!"I grabbed Thomas and we ran as the first gun fired, exploding the ground in front of us. Dust erupted as they shot all around us, people screaming for their lives"Down here!"I led us down a stone alley where we ducked from their line of fire. We kept running only to run straight into the masked soldiers. I saw them grab Newt, Frypan and Jorge shoving them into a van.

"Newt!"I screamed, trying to reach him before the soldier from the truck grabbed me and threw me into a van with him as well as Thomas and Brenda. They closed the doors and drove away as we struggled. Finally we gave up and just watched them with suspicion. I stared down the soldier from the truck, daring him to make a move, he just stared back at me through that blank mask. They pulled into a gated junkyard, stopping the van before opening the doors.

"Get out!"They shouted and we complied. We saw the other van screech and stop, its brakes squealing with effort. It was shaking as we heard Jorge yelling from inside. The doors opened and a soldier fell out with a grunt.

"Where is she, you son of a bitch?"Jorge jumped down and began punching the guy.

"Shit! Hey! Wait!"We ran over and pulled Jorge off the man. The soldiers separated us and I gave Newt a look over to make sure he wasn't hurt while he did the same to me. We both nodded, holding our hands up as guns were aimed our way.

"Everybody relax, we're all on the same side here"The soldier from the truck said.

"What do you mean the same side? Who the hell are you?"I shouted at him. He looked around at us, resting his face at me before pulling off his mask and making my heart stop.

"Hey _______"

"Gally?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0-0

Well, the moment has arrived. He's back folks.