Chapter - 26

One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life and the word is LOVE.
-Sophocles
___

Akira

I freeze.

My entire body stiffen when I hear his hurried footsteps coming near me.

Oh hell no.

Immediately I go to pull the door but before it could open, a hand slams it shut loudly, preventing me to open it.

I close my eyes as I try calm my seething nerves. I know I have to face him now, because even from the little bit I know about him, I know that avoiding him is not an option for me. Clearly not when he is less than a feet from and demanding my attention.

Don't turn around.

I will have to.

Hardening my already numb heart I turn to him, "Yes?" I ask, regarding him coolly.

He takes a small step back, clearly dazed by my lifeless tone but recovers quickly, "We need to talk."

Talk? My foot!

My brows perk up in mock surprise, "Do we? Whatever for?"

He takes a breath looking visibly nervous, "I want to explain wh-"

I cut him off before he could go any further, "I don't want an explanation. If that's all then I have to go."

Get the hell away.

He struggles to come with words, "I understand if you are angry bu-"

To hell with him!

"If I am angry? If I am?" I ask incredulously.

"I was stood up and you ask me if I am angry. I waited and I kept waiting for whole three hours for you and then I suddenly realised that you weren't coming at all but even then I was worried about you. I called you, I messaged you but no reply. Nada! You just disappeared. Then out of blue you are here after one week of messing my head, wanting to explain yourself. And you are asking if I'm angry!"

By the end I'm sure that my raised voice is attracting attention but I couldn't be more careless. My temper got better of me. I discreetly notice Dev, who is standing by other side of truck looking confused as he watches us.

Taking a deep breath I step forward and toward him, shoving my finger to his chest, "From the day one you keep humiliating and insulting me. Throwing cruel and hateful words to me but I still wanted to believe that you must have some goodness in you. So I kept beating myself because I thought maybe I've done something wrong to you to receive such hostility from you but guess what, its not me, its you who is at fault here. You are the heartless monster who played with me and my emotions, every chance you got till I reached the end. When I'm trying to piece myself together you want to explain. Then explain! Explain why you played me? Explain what I ever did to you?!" I don't notice I'm crying until I feel salty taste of tears in my lips.

Damn!

I don't want to cry and look out as weak, at least not in front of him. I don't want him to think that he still effects me.

He does though!

Swallowing the painful lump in my throat, I wipe my eyes through my hand as I continue to stare at him, prompting him to speak.

He looks stun at my outburst and in pain as if it is hard for him to see me like this. Its irony considering how he enjoys my misery. Grinding his teeth tightly he clamps his jaw and he lets out a frustrated breath as though he is struggling.