CHAPTER 24

"What's that suppose to mean?" I ask whispering.

"What's what suppose to mean?" he asks terrified trying to save things up.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." I say harsher than I wanted.

"Nothing, Cat. I just said it. I wanted to say something and that got out." he laughs nervously.

"Jai. What. The. Hell. Did. That. Mean?" I ask him afraid of the answer.

"Are you sure that you want to know?" he asks.

"No. But I have to." I say shaking.

He takes my hand and walks me to the couch, where we sit.

"Five years after I was born mum and dad had a really bad argument. The were shouting at each other and mum was throwing stuff on the floor." he starts and a tear escaped his eyes. "I was at my room but I could hear everything. Mum thought dad was cheating on her and went crazy. So she left the house and only God knew where she went." by now he's crying and I am trying very hard not to do so too."Anyway, the morning after she came home apologising and crying. Two months later..." he can't continue talking as he's crying.

"So, he's not?" I'm crying too.

"I'm so sorry." he says and tries to hug me but I pull away.

"So, you just left me believing a lie?" I shout at him although it's not he's fault. "And no one had the guts to tell me that he's not my biological father? No even mum?" I'm sobbing by now but I can't stop. "This is why he was trying this hard with me? Because I wasn't his daughter?"

"We couldn't tell you. You wouldn't understand. Try to imagine how mum feels. You think she isn't feeling bad? Try to understand now." he says in an attempt to calm me down.

"It's easy for you to say. It's not you that was living sixteen and a half years of lies." I yell even louder.

I can't be in here anymore. I have to get out of here as fast as possible. I grab my shoes and rush outside running. It's raining heavily but I don't really care. As for where I'm. going, I have no idea. I hear Jai yelling my name but I just run faster. The house is out of sight now. I sit on the first bench I see in front of me and cry. Cry for the sixteen years I lost believing a lie.

~~

It's been over an hour since I left but it still hasn't stop raining. I have to go home but I really don't want to. So, I walk towards his house. He's the only one I want to see now. But as I reach his house I wish I hadn't been there. A girl had her hands all over him. Jessica.

What? Why? Why me? Why today? Why did my life have to be ruined today. You know what? Fuck it. I'm going to the only person I can trust now.

~~

"Beth, what a surpri- What the fuck happened?" he asks as soon as he sees me.

And he's right. My make up is fully destroyed by the crying and rain and I'm soaked.

I just hug him and squeeze him as hard as possible.

"That son of a bitch!!" he says as I finish the story.

Nathan let me take a shower and change to his clothes.

He grabs his keys and heads to the door.

"Where are you going?" I stand up and follow him.

"Kick his ass." he says.

"No, Nathan. Don't please. I'm done with him." I beg him.

"If you're done with him then how are you gonna sing with him at the school musical?" he asks.

"What are you talking about?" I ask in confusion.

"He didn't tell you?" a wide-eyed Nathan says.

"Tell me what?" I ask.

"Mrs Stanford wants you and Luke to be the lead singers at the school musical. It's a huge apportunity. You may be offered a scholarship for one of those huge universities." he says.

"Wha-" I get cut off by my phone ringing. It's Jai. He has called a zillion times. I just turn off my phone.

"Sorry about this." I turn to Nathan again. But he's not here anymore . Of course he's not. Poor Luke.