CHAPTER 30

It's the big night. The musical. And guess who's not going? Yeah, me. As a part of the music class and choir I should be there. But I don't want to go. So I made up a lie. I am sick. It's not that hard to fool my mum. After the whole "dad is not my dad" thing she's being overprotective. And sometimes this is a good thing.

"You sure you'll be okay here with Jai hun? I don't want you to feel bad." she says as she walks in.

"Yes mum. It's just a headache. I don't understand why I can't go to the musical." I fake a cough.

"No. You can't go. You're sick. I know this is the school musical, but since you don't have a solo you don't have to go." she says.

I don't insist any more because the last time I did she actually did allowed me to go to school.

She sents me a kiss and walks out of my room to go find Jai and give him instructions on how to take care of me for the night. No not another. business trip. Just a night out.

"Get up." Jai says as soon as mum has left the house.

"I'm sick." I say

"I am your brother. And I've done it too. A billion times."

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Out."

~~

-Luke's POV-

"You're out in five." Mrs Stanford says.

"Are you ready to shine?" Jessica asks.

Why couldn't B be here? Because you fucked up. And now she hates you.

"Now I present you Jessica and Luke singing "Disconnected"."a voice, probably the headmaster, says.

We're out and I begin to sing the first lines. Oh gosh why can't she be here?

" Life's a tangled web

Of cell phone calls and hashtag I-don't-knows

And you you're so caught up

In all the blinking lights and dial tones

I admit I'm a bit of a victim in the worldwide system too

But I've found my sweet escape when I'm alone with you

Tune out the static sound of the city that never sleeps

Here in the moment on the dark side of the screen."

I look at Jessica and she nods ready to sing the chorus.

"I like the summer rain

I like the sounds you make

We put the world away

We get so disconnected."

But it's not Jessica who sings. It's another voice. A voice I love to hear. It's her. The crowd breaks apart and I see her singing. I smile and she smiles back. The biggest and pretiest smile I've ever seen.

"You are my getaway

You are my favorite place

We put the world away

Yeah we're so disconnected"

I don't even care about Jessica anymore. I walk towards her and help her get on to where I am.

She sings now. And I can't believe how amazing she is.

"Hands around my waist

You're counting up the hills across the sheets