9. Me.

ISABELLE

Friday 27th July

The pinging of a string of text notifications jolted me from my sleep.
I groggily rubbed my face, allowing my eyes to adjust to the light before my hands shuffled around for my phone.
I unlocked it, simply using my touch ID and clicked my message icon. I rolled my eyes as I tapped on Graham's thread.

Graham:Isabelle
Graham: Isabelleeeeeeeee
Graham: Belleeeeeee
Graham: haha I'm so gonna call your next boyfriend "the beast"
Graham: get it? bc your nickname is Belle?
I shook my head at his spam of messages and quickly sent a reply.
Did you find Alexa???
I bit my lip in anticipation, awaiting a response. Surely Graham would have resorted to calling me if they had found my sister instead of spamming me with messages.

My phone buzzed and I read his reply:
Graham: nope. It's the second week and no dice :(

I took in a sharp breath and locked my phone, not even bothering to reply to Graham.
Graham.
This was all his fault.

"Princess Isabelle, your father requests that you commence your classes promptly,"

I scoffed as I scrambled out of bed.
"Daphne dear, please tell father that my classes are the least of my worries right now because my freaking sister-his daughter is missing! And if he could actually care for a few seconds it would be nice!"

I could have heard the hitch in her breath from behind the door, I hardly ever raised my voice or lost my temper. Alexa was more the one to be blunt and state when she was angry or losing her patience; many others saw her as a too hot-headed to be a princess.

"Yes, princess, I'm on it."
Once I heard her footsteps scurrying away, I rushed to take a shower and wash my face.

When I had returned from the bathroom and had dressed in a frilly skirt and a tank top, I left my room.
"Princess Isabelle, your father requests your presence."

I thanked the guard that was stationed outside my room and trudged my way down the stairs and towards father's room.
He answered as soon I knocked twice on his door,
"Come in!"

A wisp of smoke met my face as I slipped inside and closed the door behind me.
Father set his pipe on the table, and laced his fingers together,
"Ah. Isabelle."
"You're smoking again?"
He completely ignored me and tapped his fingers against his desk.
"You haven't been attending your Queen Classes."
"Alexa isn't here!" I shrieked, stepping towards him.
He pursed his lips and spun his pipe in his fingers.
"She'd get started when she gets back."

"That's not what I meant. She's your daughter! How are you not worried? You're just a heartless overbearing monster! I miss mom!"
My voice cracked as I spoke the last few words. Father's gaze softened slightly and he cleared his throat.
"We all miss her. The country-"
"There you again." I hissed, clutching the table for support.

"The country this and the country that- don't you ever stop to think as the real you and not the public you? Think as Arnold the father- the husband instead of King Arnold?"

He stood up abruptly from his chair and I was afraid that I had gone too far. His beady eyes narrowed at me.
"Not another word. Get to your classes,"

"But-"
"Now!"

I huffed, storming out of his room, towards my own. When I returned to my room, my phone flashed at me from across the room. I picked it up as I sat on my bed and rolled my eyes yet again when I saw it was Graham.

Graham: heyyyy :( you alive?
Graham: my ego is still bruised from that slap across the face :(
Graham: Isabellleeeeeeee
Graham: I just honestly wanted to make sure that you were okay.