24. Birthday Celebrations 1.3

ALEXA

All the guests immediately rose and I spotted Nate and Kat seated in the corner of the middle row of seats.

The boys were seated in front, observing everyone's actions as it was probably all foreign to them.

Isabelle noticeably tensed and I tried to shake all my intruding negative thoughts as I focused on getting her safely to the stage without her hyperventilating.

When we approached the stage, Father rose from his chair and the room went silent.

His gaze shifted between Isabelle and I, and I intentionally stared coldly back at him.

I unravelled my arm from Isabelle and we both- reluctantly- bowed.

In my peripheral, I saw the rest the crowd bow as well, and I smiled to myself as I saw Nate and Katherine hesitate a few seconds too late before doing so.

Isabelle and I slowly ascended the stairs and took our places on either side of father.

He stepped forward, completely ignoring the microphone and addressed the crowd.
There wasn't any need for it anyway, his voice was already piercing and booming.

"Fellow royals, invited guests, media. It is an honor for you ro witness this special moment in Celayise's history."

It definitely was a special moment. This is the first occasion throughout our lineage that an heir had to be appointed. For some time, the Celayise's throne was always accepted patrileanely.

Around the early nineteen seventies, my mother- the late Queen Miranda, was one of the first princesses to be appointed the heir of Celayise.

My mother was the Queen regent, a title bestowed unto her because of her lineage, Father was simply a King consort. His title of King was only received because of his marriage to my mother. He wasn't truly a member of Celayise but a former duke of a country half way on the other side of the world.

"The future Queen, is to make sure an image of elegance, Grace and diplomacy."

I mentally snorted at this, he might as well crown Isabelle already.

I shifted my eyes to my left and spotted a familiar seat next to my father's.

Her seventeenth century styled, gilt wood throne chair with an arched upholstered back and rectangular seat. The back was embroidered with our family's monogram and surrounded by an inscribed Garter, surmounted by a crown.

I could have almost imagined her sitting elegantly upon it, smiling sweetly at me with her warm twinkling eyes.

It was only when I heard a round of applause and I saw the crowd rise to their feet, did I realize that father had finished his speech already.

Isabelle was no longer standing beside me, but beside father near the podium.

My stomach sank as the realization hit.

I searched the crowd for Katherine and when her eyes met mine and she rolled hers.
Idiot, she mouthed as she jerked her head in the direction of my father.
Her smile was strained and I knew that she was as disappointed as I was.

"Uh."
All eyes swivelled in Isabelle's direction as she took the mike.

I saw her pause to scan the crowd for someone and when she finally spotted the person, she visibly relaxed and smiled slightly.

I didn't even need to follow her trail of sight to know that it was Graham.

She released a deep breath and stepped closer to the microphone. She smiled one of her perfect dazzling smiles at the crowd before she spoke.