36. Starting to look a lot like Christmas

ALEXA
Monday 24, December

++ Disclaimer: Slightly Mature content in this chapter.

"Father, I'm off! See you in two days," I yelled, rapping my knuckles against his door.

I hiked the strap of my tote bag further on my shoulder when I felt it being removed.

None other than Ricardo, was smiling down at me with my bag in his grasp.
"A lady shouldn't be carrying such heavy bags," he tsked.

I was about to argue when father's door swung open and revealed him leaning against the frame.

"No funny business Alexandria, I expect you back here in two days. I don't want another missing report."

"Aye aye!" I chirped, giving him a huge grin.

In my peripheral I saw Ricardo tilt his head in confusion and even father's brows creased slightly as his eyes surveyed my euphoric expression.

I smiled even wider and his frown deepened. My ecstatic mood was puzzling to him, and it was driving him crazy.

"Well, that'll be all," He murmured finally. He took a step back and nodded at Ricardo before closing the door shut.

Ricardo took my arm and led me a few feet away from father's office before he stopped before the guest hall.

He lowered his face slightly before mine and studied it  intensely as if it was a hieroglyphic.

"Dude," I chuckled, pushing him away, "Ever heard of personal space?"

He stumbled slightly but quickly regained his footing. He snapped his fingers as a grin spread across his face.

"So it's really you Alexa."

"Of course it's me! Why'd you ever doubt that?"

He simply rose an eyebrow before leaning forward once again, "Switcheroo rings a bell?"

I gasped and punched his arm, causing him to double over in laughter.

"How'd you find out about that? Only Belle and I know!"

"Alexa sweetheart, you'd be surprised at the things we guards know. We see and hear everything."

"Why're you're all giddy?" He asked as we walked alongside each other, down the hallway.

"If you guards knew everything, then you'd know that I'm actually going to my boyfriend's."

Ricardo paused, his brows hitching upwards, "The dark-haired bloke with the motorcycle?"

My mouth suddenly felt dry, and I weakly met Ricardo's eyes, "How'd you know that?"

He pursed his lips and guided me down the hallway and towards the entrance.

We paused before the main entrance and he finally returned my duffel bag,
"Tell your boyfriend to be careful, the guards already have a tab on him."

                         << >>

++ Mature content ahead.

" I think even showing up before the palace is too risky now," I suggested, pointing my fork at Nate.

He frowned, carefully swallowing his mouthful before shrugging.

"Hey, I'm all for never seeing that shithole again. I say we keep you hostage here," He replied, waving a hand to gesture around the room.

Their new house was undoubtedly larger than their cabin back in the forest.

It was situated nearer to town, and was only twenty minutes away from the palace by bike.