29. The Accomplice

ALEXA

Monday 1st October

I could tell that the lady was getting pissed.

I was trying my best to be very compliant but some of these rules were downright ridiculous.

"Cross at the ankles not at the knees," She instructed, pinching her nosebridge.

I did as I was told and pasted a fake wide smile on my face, "Like this?"

Her tiny slanted eyes glazed over my face for a few seconds before she pursed her lips, "I know what'd get you in the mood for these lessons."

"Food?"

She released a soft chuckle, and shook her head before exiting the room.

I immediately uncrossed my ankles and planted my feet firmly on the ground before releasing a deep sigh.

Queen classes are torture.

Normally, Queen training wouldn't be necessary considering that the Crown Princess will shadow her mother.
Since my mother was absent for more than half of my and Isabelle's lives, we had no choice but to be trained by our local Duchesses and their party on Royal etiquette.

It certainly wasn't as much torture learning about Princess etiquette as it was about Queen Etiquette.

She soon returned, holding a glass case and my heart dropped when I zeroed in on the object inside.

"I asked permission of course," She said as she placed the case gently on the glass table.

She removed the cover and I watched in awe as she removed the delicate crown.

She shuffled towards me, and my eyes remained focused on the bejewelled masterpiece before me.

The rubies sparkled deviously at me, and as the lady became closer I found it more difficult to breathe due to intense power of my mother's crown.

"I don't think this is a good idea," I muttered once I had found my voice.

She shook head at me, "Nonsense. Once we're careful-"

"I'm not the Queen as yet, isn't I against the rules?" I countered.

The sight of the crown made me queasy and my palms began to sweat.

The lady stepped back and tilted her head to one side as she studied the Crown, "Oh my... that's right! My Princess, I'm so sorry, I just thought that it'd get you into the mood. I'd return it at once! Please forgive me."

She continued rambling until I held a hand up and she immediately silenced.

This time I smiled warmly at her, and I saw her shoulders droop slightly, meaning that she was no longer tense.

"It's okay, you didn't know."

She nodded too quickly, and glanced behind her, "You won't tell your dad about this right?"

"Wait, so who'd you ask for permission?"

She dropped her gaze to the floor, and mumbled her response so that I had to strain to hear her, "Princess Isabelle."

Of course. Of course Belle would give full permission of planting this crown on my head, just as she planted the title onto me.

"Can we dismiss a bit early today?" I begged, I pouted just for extra effect.

She sighed and nodded in consent, before shuffling over to the table to cover the Crown once more.

"But expect extra time in next week's class!" She shouted over her shoulder, I had already sprinted out the door and had only heard her within earshot.