Chapter 11

The amazing cover above has been made by @zuziestories_xo. God she is the first to send me! I love you Girl!

. . .

If you think this is not the normal reaction to your first kiss, then mind it.

Ashley is not normal.

. . .

"Rose this is not your expresso! These are chocolate chip cookies put some more chocolate chips in it!"

"Grandma! These will be too sweet to eat then!"

"Ashely Mary Lindinbourgh put that half cup chocolate chips in or leave the kitchen and never come back for my recipes!"

"Okay!" I exclaim with both my hands in the air and put the darn chips in the batter.

It is very important for me to learn how to bake. I know I cook even better than Grandma does, but it's the baking where my hand fails. I just can't measure the things properly. When I am cooking, the whole thing is cooking in front of my eyes and I can add anything it needs but when baking, it is not possible because it cooks inside that oven.

That is a shame because my Grandma owns a bakery in Detroit. Actually a very good bakery. It is because of her bakery that runs the house and she still manages to save more than enough money.

"Eyes on the batter, young lady!" My grandma shouts. Again.

"Eyes are on the batter old lady." I murmur the last part but she hears it and hits me with the wooden spoon beside her on my head.

"Grandma!" I wail.

"Okay so now, scoop the dough onto the baking try and put it in oven." She says.

I do the same and then keep the tray with scooped dough in the oven.

She sets the time and temperature and I make a metal note of them.

"So now we wait." She ends with a smile. I turn to the sink for cleaning my hands.

Our kitchen is nothing fancy but has every essential thing. Even our home is simple yet comfortable. It is a two-storey home with three bedrooms. My bedroom is upstairs while Grandma's is downstairs.

I was never so keen on learning to bake but now I want to. Grandma is getting old and with December coming, so will the celebrations and orders will start to flow in. It will not hurt to help Grandma and get some more money for myself.

I will be needing the most of it, for my college. I have planned to take a break after school for one year and help Grandma gather enough to open a new bakery in New York. I have applied for the New York University and I think I will get scholarship.

My parents had been living in New York only, but after their death, it was too painful for Grandma to live there so she came here.

Over the years, we never went back because of my studies and her business but now it is the time.

A year and few months.

That is the only time I have left in Detroit.

So here, I am learning how to bake chocolate chip cookies.

"Back to earth Rose." My Grandma calls.

For sixty-eight years old, my Grandma is full of energy. If people say that I am cocky then . . . hello! Meet my Grandma, Mary Eliza Stoneheart!

Unlike her name, my Grandma is a softie. She is everything I have.

Sometimes I feel that I don't appreciate her much.