Chapter 3: The Date

Both of us remained silent, staring at each other.

"Josh."

"Tori."

"How long has it been?" Josh asked.

I shrugged, "Two years?"

"Wow. Well, how have you been?" He asked, letting go of my hand.

"Good, you?"

"Yeah, good."

"So, what brings you to New York?" I asked.

"I felt like I needed to start fresh, so I headed over to New York." I nodded. "You look great." He smiled at me.

"Thanks. So do you." I smiled back at him.

"Can... Can I take you out sometime?" He asked.

I was taken back, "What?"

"Do you maybe wanna go on a date... With me... ?" I was speechless. "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked." He said, after a while.

"No, no! I... I'd... I mean... That sounds great." I smiled at him.

"Really?" He smiled.

"Yeah. Name the time and I'll be ready."

"I'll call you." He said.

"Okay."

* * *

"You did what?!" Antonella screamed.

"I didn't do anything. I just agreed to go on a date with him." I said, plopping down on my bed.

"Exactly! Why would you do that?"

"Maybe because I want to be in the dating business while I still can?"

"You're supposed to be dating a football player!"

"Yeah, well that's never gonna happen."

"You don't know that!" She was practically screaming now.

"Ella, calm down. It's just one date."

"How can you say that? You're destined to be with a football player." She whined.

I laughed, "I'm not so-" My phone rang. I answered it, "Hello?"

"Hey, Tori. It's me." The voice on the other end said.

"Me? It would be lovely if you could be more specific." I said, sarcastically.

He chuckled, "Josh."

I smiled, "Hey. What's up?"

"About our date. How does tonight sound?"

"Tonight sounds great."

"Awesome. I'll pick you up at seven." I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Great, I'll text you my address. See you, tonight." I said before hanging up and texting him my address.

I placed my phone down and looked at Antonella. "Please, please, please tell me you're not going out with him.

"Him has a name. It's Josh, and yes I am going out with him." I said, getting off the bed and walking over to the closet, picking a dress for tonight.

"But, what about-" I cut her off.

"Ella, I bet if I ever meet this football player, I won't like him. So, what's the point?" I asked, grabbing a black dress.

"You will like him! I can tell you one thing, he's the sexiest football player alive! That's gotta mean something."

"It doesn't mean anything. Ella, I've spent most of my life searching for the right guy. Maybe, Josh is the one. I guess I've been too blind to notice that earlier." I said.

She sighed, "Fine. I just don't want you to get hurt."

I smiled at her, "I won't, okay? I promise I'll be fine." She hugged me. "Okay." I hugged her back. She pulled away, "At least let me help you get ready." I smiled.

* * *

"This place is amazing." I placed my menu down, looking around the restaurant.

"I know, right? They just opened it a few weeks ago." He said.

"Well, I think it's nice."

"You look beautiful." He smiled at me.

"You don't look too bad yourself." I grinned at him.

He chuckled, "Leave it to you to ruin the moment."

I laughed, "That's what I'm best known for!"

The waiter came back with our food. We chewed our food in silence. Once we were done eating, Josh insisted on paying.

"I've got it, Tori." He said, grabbing his wallet.

"Let me do it!" I whined like a kid who wanted to press an elevator button.

He laughed, "You're such a kid."

I stuck my tongue out at him, "Deal with it."

He placed the money inside the folder before the both of us got up and left the restaurant.

"You should've let me pay." I said, as we walked back to my apartment.

"What kind of a gentleman would I be if I did?" He grinned.

I rolled my eyes at him, "I wasn't so sure you were one in the first place."

He smacked my arm playfully. I laughed. This is exactly how I wanted dates to be. Not too romantic and mushy, but romantic and friendly. It was as if we were just hanging out as friends rather than going on a date. This is what I liked about Josh, he'd always manage to make every awkward situation into a hilarious moment.

We stopped outside my apartment door, "I had a really good time today." He smiled at me.

"Me too." I said, smiling back at him.

"Can I see you again?" He asked.

"If you're lucky." I enjoyed being coy.

He smiled, "I'll take that as a yes, then."

"Alright. Goodnight." I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before entering my apartment.

"Goodnight." He said, the smile evident in his voice.