Chapter 12: Realization

"So, what do you do?" Nick asked, pouring champagne into his glass.

"I work for Cosmopolitan." I smiled, pushing a strand of hair out of my face.

He sipped his champagne before opening his mouth to respond, "That explains the aura of sophistication."

I laughed, "I'm pretty sure it's just the champagne talking on my behalf."

He laughed, "It could be but I highly doubt it."

I stopped laughing and smiled at him, "You know, I really like you."

He placed both of his hands on the table and leaned in, "The same goes for you."

I smiled, "Tell me about yourself."

"I'm not half as interesting as you are."

"I reject that out of hand. Now, tell me about yourself."

"Well, I'm not originally from Brazil. I was raised in Italy, but then brought to Brazil for my career as a photographer. I haven't stopped traveling since. I never quite settled down in one place. I like to travel the world and explore other cities and cultures. It keeps me busy." He finished, smiling.

"And you said you weren't half as interesting as me." I smiled, staring at him in awe.

He finished his glass of champagne, "I'm not. I just happen to love the idea of wanderlust."

"I can see that, but don't you ever feel lost?"

"I do, but it's the good kind. Losing yourself in a different city, hobby and people. Every day is different because I don't wake up to the same thing, and that's what I love the most about my life. It isn't the same every day and I never have to get tired of exploring and getting lost."

"Why haven't we ever met before?" I asked, laughing.

"Because I never lost myself in you." He smiled, staring into my eyes.

This evening was perfect. Nick was wonderful and intriguing. It's amazing getting to know a stranger because they just surprise you either in a good or bad way. In my case, it was definitely a good way. Nick did what made him happy and he didn't care about what other people said or thought of him, which was what I admired about him the most. He loved the idea of wanderlust and exploring. He was one of the most interesting guys I had ever met, but unfortunately long-distance relationships never work out. Ever since that one date, we had been hanging out a lot more. Some nights, we went to restaurants and other nights we'd just get lost in the beauty of the city. Every day spent with him was something magical and special, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every single second of it.

* * *

I put on a black, knee-length Chanel dress before looking at myself in the mirror. I didn't know what to wear since Nick had said we were going somewhere special and that it was a surprise. I tried to get the answer out of him but he wouldn't budge. All he said was to wear something nice, and by nice I'm hoping he meant a very expensive dress that I had purchased on my very first day here in São Paulo. I was debating whether I should change or not until I was interrupted by a knock on the door.

Still looking at myself in the mirror, I yelled, "Come in!"

Neymar walked in, closing the door behind him and staring at me in surprise, "Wow, you look beautiful."

I spun around facing him, "Neymar!" I yelled excitedly, smiling at him.

"Hey, you remember me!" He said, jokingly.

I groaned, placing a hand on my forehead, "I'm so sorry, I've just been caught up on something and I totally forgot why I was here in the first place."

"I think you mean someone." I blushed. He laughed, "Is Victoria Messi actually blushing or am I dreaming?"

I squinted my eyes at him, "Oh, shut up."

He chuckled, "No, no, I want you to have a good time."

"Thank you, but I promise we'll hang out tomorrow." I said, grabbing my matching purse.

"Yeah, definitely. Have a great night." He said, smiling at me before leaving my hotel room.

I was left in the room with an unfamiliar and queasy feeling. I couldn't put my finger on it but it sure felt like guilt.

* * *

"So, I was there looking like a complete idiot because I didn't know what the dress code was." He said, laughing.

I laughed, "I can just totally imagine you standing in your swimwear surrounded by people in tuxedos and gowns."

He chuckled, "I stood out, though."

"And that was totally not because of what you wore." I said, sarcastically. He grinned, "I like to keep things different." I shook my head at him smiling before checking my phone for the hundredth time this night. "Are you okay?" I heard Nick ask, his voice was filled with concern.

I looked up from my phone before plastering on a fake smile and nodding, "Yeah, I'm fine."

He frowned, "You've been checking your phone quite a lot this night, and I'm pretty sure they're not just Instagram notifications." He joked.

I laughed, "No, it's just that I'm waiting for an important call."

"Neymar?"

I looked at him in surprise, "Yeah."

"He's a great guy, huh?"

"Yeah, he's the sweetest. I mean, sure he can be a cocky ass bastard sometimes but that's what I love about him." He chuckled. "And he's caring and hilarious, you could never get tired of having him around. He's so talented and an amazing football player. He's got these amazing eyes, and it's just so mesmerizing, like you can't stop staring into them. He's got the cutest smile and his laugh is just adorable, and god, I'm in love with him." I said, without thinking. I realized what I had just said and looked at Nick with my eyes widened. He was just staring at me with a smile on his face. "I'm in love with my best friend... I-I'm in love with Neymar." I couldn't help but smile as I said it.