Chapter Four

(Y/N) had been going throughout her usual routine when Strange decided to pop up out of thin air. At first, she was startled, but soon became comforted at the warm smile he produced.

"Odd question," He started abruptly, "But how old are you exactly?"

She giggled. The question wasn't odd to her. In fact, it made her feel happy that someone was interested her. Titan had lacked any sort of kind creatures, so the fact that Strange was talking to her instead of trying to kill her made her the slightest bit happy.

"Over a century," She said, arms crossing against her chest.

His eyes widened, "Really?"

She nodded, "Yes, Mr. Strange."

"Stephen," He interjected with a small chuckle, "Call me Stephen. If life is soon ending, I feel it is only reasonable to refer to me casually."

She sighed, shaking her head, "You must think there's no way to stop it."

"I know there isn't."

She cocked her head, eyebrow raised in curiosity, "How?"

Slowly, Strange moved his shirt over-lap away from a necklace she'd failed to notice before. At first, she thought it a simple medallion; an eye on a chain did not cause suspicion. That is until he wavered his hands in the air in a small circle then brought them back to the medallion. A green glow illuminated from the base of his chest and she felt her body stiffen.

The time stone.

"You—?"

"—Humans aren't completely useless," He chuckled lightly, staring down at the glowing stone, "It has been my duty to protect the time stone from creatures like Thanos."

"And you're here?!" She shouted out of surprise and frustration, "On Titan? With the time stone?!"

Not phased by her reaction, he closed the medallion and put it away underneath of the over-lap again.

"I know it seems unreasonable and dangerous, but—"

"You brought the time stone to Titan to lure him," She muttered, looking away from him and at the ground, "Of course it's unreasonable and dangerous. He doesn't care about this place."

Strange remained silent. What could he even say?

"I can't believe this," She whispered and began to nervously pace back and forth, "You're bringing back the monster that murdered my home."

"Why don't you just leave?"

She looked up at him, staring coldly.

"You've done your best. You've kept this planet alive for a century, and look at it," He gestured around, "It remains the same."

Closing her eyes, she attempted to refrain herself from lashing out irrationally.

Of course he would say that.

"This is my home," Her tone hardened, "Have you no common sense? You and your friends are included in this prevention of destruction to save Earth; a planet filled with death, disrespect, and filth, and yet you mock me?"

"You've never even left Titan. How could you—"

"—Your technology is weak," She scoffed, "Your kind will never be able to comprehend what we do."

"So you've been to Earth?"

"It doesn't take a genius to visit another world."

Strange nodded in understanding, "Could you please help my people understand that? Most still can't even fathom the fact we've visited the moon."

A snort erupted from (Y/N), "Really? That's quite pathetic."

"Hey," He threw his hands up, as if surrendering, "Have you ever lived in a place of democracy? All sorts believe the government made it up."

"Do you?"

"It's likely."

"Why?"

He shrugged, "If humans can't understand culture or respect, how could they understand something as vast as space?"

"It's clear you comprehend it. Why not educate them yourself?"

A laugh bellowed from the pits of his lungs. A sense of discomfort came over (Y/N) and she immediately wished she hadn't implanted such a suggestion.

"I guard the time stone, I'm referred to as a Wizard, and I'm only human," He reasoned, "They wouldn't listen to me. Half of what I do is made up in comic books and fairytales."

"Comic books?"

Strange rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, "I guess you don't have that here, huh?"

She shook her head, suddenly intrigued with the subject, "What is a 'comic'?" She asked, but before Strange could answer she shook her head, physically dismissing it, "That's irrelevant. My main point is how do you, a human with human friends, plan to save an entire universe against one of the most powerful beings of all realities?"

Thinking, Strange suddenly realized that there were no viable options. All he could see was death and chaos. Nothing more.

(Y/N) sighed, "That's what I thought."

Internally, she knew someone could stop Thanos. He could be destroyed, he could be tormented, he could be slaughtered.

By her.

With the ability to complicate all six different stones without directly needing to have them, she could end their worry and her own.

But she wasn't a weapon.

She did not deserve to be viewed as one.

"Got any ideas?" Strange tore her from her thoughts, "If not, you're better off dead like the rest of us."

She said nothing. Only stared at him in mock confusion.

It didn't take a genius to travel to different worlds. It also didn't take a genius to inflict revenge in due time.

Standing in silence, she quickly decided she would not reveal her abilities. Instead, she would continue to let the humans believe that nothing could be done. She would make them understand the vulnerability she'd endured many years after the death of her parents.

But when and if Thanos were to arrive, would the Avengers really be able to stop them?

Not in the slightest.

It takes a monster to kill a monster.