Chapter Twelve

He thought he knew everything. He was sure of it. How could he forget? He'd only inflicted mass genocide one hundred years ago and started his killing spree immediately after. And he never left anything—never forgot anything. Finding (Y/N) in Titan came as a surprise to him, no doubt, but the Avengers had not.

Humans since the beginning of time had always decided it was their responsibility to act on things unbeknownst to them. Ethereal beings, foreign lands—they took it upon themselves to try and fix it if the conflict didn't choose to subside soon.

They were impatient.

Always impatient.

However, even after Titan had been almost completely obliterated, Thanos monitored his home. He sent scouts frequently to check out the lands, thus (Y/N)'s "wanderers." But never any humans. After scouts and soldiers reported back from Titan (if they lived after encountering the woman), they explained its conditions, how it was still thriving without the help of anyone.

Her complete existence was not what shocked him.

Her hope did.

"I remember you," Thanos' voice echoed into creation but something was soft about his tone, "You ran into that clearing," He pointed far off into the distance, his eyes glazing over almost as if he was in deep thought, "How you managed to stay there undamaged is beyond me. But you did it," His eyes looked down at (Y/N)'s incredibly small figure in comparison to his larger one. Her hands were clasped behind her back, a hint of pink could be seen casting small illumination off of her forearm, but this did not frighten Thanos.

"I will never understand why you felt you had to do this," She shook her head. Her voice was so small but she was trying—trying to get the words out, trying to make them sound powerful. But she couldn't. Everything in her was broken and drained, just as she knew it would be the day he came back, "There we're innocent people here. We were happy."

He chuckled cynically, crossing his arms. The gauntlet on his left hand made a metallic clang! sound on the armor equipped to his torso, "Happy? Tell me, little one, starving? Scrounging for food? That was happy to you?"

The light in her hands started to dim. He was sucking the life out of her with every cynical comment.

"I saved you," He insisted, "I saved this planet and yet you remain, attempting to restore it."

"I think I've done a pretty damn good job," She crossed her arms, a cocky tone flowing right out of her mouth alongside a cocky attitude. The pink on her hands that once dimmed soon became a vibrant purple, a silhouette resembling flames flew out of her fingertips ever so slightly, "According to ancient texts, you're supposed to kill everything. I guess not."

His jaw clenched in frustration. How could she talk to him like that?

"I take it you're not used to people talking back to you."

He grinned menacingly, "Not in the slightest."

"You should probably get used to it," She started walking toward him, slowly. "You killed my parents," The flames in her hands grew with each step she took, "You killed my home," A complacent expression lay bare on her face but the power in her palms held every part of her resentment.

"Guess you can't really get away with tha—"

"Hey, grimace. Fancy seeing you here. You sure you pulled into the right drive thru?"

(Y/N)'s eyes closed out of annoyance when she heard Tony's voice and the sound of his flying space suit.

Really?