Chapter Twenty-Seven

Titan had never felt as dry and empty as it did in the present. (Y/N) had wandered her way back to her hut with Tony following suit. The whole time they were journeying back, he never failed to bring up how coming to Earth might not be such a bad idea. Granted he had no idea how they were going to get back yet, but that dilemma could be postponed until he persuaded her enough to come to an aching compromise.

"I would keep you safe, (Y/N)," Tony said, pleading evident in his tone. "I mean that. You have nothing to be afraid of."

"Why do you want me to join you so terribly?" She quickly turned around, hair flying back behind her shoulders as she crossed her arms and stared at him with attitude. "I've done all I needed. I have no needs that can be met on Earth. I can't understand why my presence would be so important," She threw her hands up in the air, anger coursing through her veins, spilling out like arteries that needed to burst, "And you'd hide me! What is the benefit of me being on Earth if I'm away from everything?"

The wind outside of her hut picked up. Tony stood in front of her in silence, closing his eyes as the dust from the dry ground snuck up into his face. Small bits of dirt powdered his cheeks and somehow managed to clot themselves onto his wounded lip. It'd been cracking and reopening ever since he'd received it. It hadn't dawned on him that the pain was legitimate until the grain soaked into the cut. A hissing noise protruded from his lips and he pivoted in his heal, his back to both (Y/N) and the winds.

"There are people I know that would like to meet you," He finally spoke up, "They mean no harm. The most painful thing you'll go through with them is having to answer a thousand questions precisely in a matter of five minutes."

"And if I don't speak at all?"

"It takes time."

"To what?"

Letting out a sigh that reflected his annoyance, Tony put his hands in his front pockets, back still turned to the girl. He was trying to think of a way to answer her. He didn't want the response to be blunt or vague. He wanted to add texture to it, almost as if he could somehow make it tangible.

Regardless of the person or creature encountered, they lacked the ability to confess or speak to the Avengers in the beginning. Over time, as said person or creature realized that they weren't there to use them for their information, confessions spewed out like tsunamis. Some broke down into tears while others resulted to anger and frustration. And others sat there, melancholic - almost indifferent.

(Y/N) was different, though. In every way, shape, and form.

"You'll talk," He finally said, "There's nothing to stop you and there's nothing to force you. But," He turned, eyes on the woman as she absentmindedly fiddled with a loose piece of wool on her arm. "You're a fascinating individual. You'd feel more like a gift than a mutant."

Momentarily, (Y/N)'s heart stopped beating. Only for a small moment.

A gift?

Gift... I'm still just an object.

"I'll go," She concluded. Defeat heavy in her voice, "However, I do have one condition."

Tony shrugged, "Sure. What's up?"

"Your home is never allowed to step foot on my planet."

He raised his brows, shocked, "What? You—"

"Ever."

Sighing, the man nodded, eyes closing as he did so.

(Y/N) knew the condition was pretty large. Keeping billions of people off of Titan? Forever? That practically screamed hard work. But maybe it'd be good for them. They needed something to work toward and it'd be amusing to watch billions of people try to enter a planet they never even knew existed, because if (Y/N) knew anything about the United States in particular, it was that they were naïve; they hardly allow themselves time to think when it comes to making incredibly serious decisions and when things don't go their way, they bitch about it; play the blame game until there's no one sane enough left to blame.

"I guess you best figure out how to get us back to your home," She mumbled, a cynical giggle tickling her ribcage as she walked toward her makeshift pantry and thought of something appealing to munch on.

"Can't you just, like, teleport us there or something?"

The oblivion was so strong. She had to refrain from slapping her hand on her forehead.

"There's a junkyard I made up not too far from here," She told him, right hand pointing toward the orange distance, "There should be parts there you can salvage and turn into a small craft."

Without a second thought, Tony reapplied his nano-tech and bolted up into the atmosphere. The small rockets on either side of him sputtered and one even turned off which then followed with him slapping the metal until it came back on. He yelled a quick "I'm okay!" and didn't wait for her to respond whatsoever.

For a moment, his determination made her feel guilty.

She didn't make a junkyard.

Where she sent him was a portal back to his origins on Earth. She'd originally created the portal to travel to-and-from Earth and surrounding planets to see if she was missing out on anything. So if Tony didn't pay enough attention while flying, he'd end right back up in his office with a broken suit, a swollen mouth, and a migraine like no other.

She listened for him; attempted to hear his screaming, wanted to hear him yell "NO!" before being sucked up into something that would surely jog his brain the wrong way for a bit.

She closed her eyes.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"