Chapter Twenty-Nine

(A/N: I'm aware the above picture is located in Chicago, but I thought it was pretty so I placed it. Hope that doesn't bother anybody! -Abi) 

A few days later, Avengers Tower

For the passed few days, (Y/N) couldn't get the sound of screaming traffic and angry humans out of her head. How could she? They surrounded her, swallowed her ears alive, and kept the hairs on her Titan skin on end.

The never-ending sporadic, untimely behavior made her grow ill. Her immediate arrival to what Tony called "New York City" jumbled her insides quite a bit - both figuratively and literally. Tony had managed to convince (Y/N) to use her abilities to transport them back to the U.S. as opposed to the billionaire using his genius brain to create something out of the nano-tech laden on his body. He'd created quite a dispute with her before she finally decided she didn't want to hear him anymore. In doing so, she rushed them to his desired destination and failed to consider the immediate consequences she would face with her health. Earth was a completely new territory. The air wasn't the same as Titan - the people, the philosophies, the auras - everything was foreign and quite literally attempted to rip her apart from the inside-out.

While lounging in one of the many rooms inside of the tower, (Y/N) was left alone to remember the ailments coming at her from every angle. Her body couldn't process the atmosphere the way she'd expected it to. She'd traveled across the galaxy various times and had never experienced a sickness so terrible. Even when traveling to Knowhere or taking a moment off of Titan to admire the rest of the cosmos, she never felt like her stomach was attempting to eat itself; her ears had never burned; her lungs had never felt so worn out.

This is what I get. I knew I shouldn't have left.

Resting her head back on one of the many cushioned pieces of fabric, (Y/N) closed her eyes. Her hands laid clasped on top of her chest, body limp as it fell into the softness of the cot Tony had made for her specially. While her ailments were serious and she deserved to be treated with utmost care, Tony's main concern was that she wouldn't feel like she was away from home once she stayed inside of the tower. He wanted to craft a room for her that resembled that of the shack she'd lived in on Titan. However, a little more imposing on present-day U.S.A.

"How are you feeling?"

(Y/N)'s ears perked up and she felt herself fall uncomfortable as she could not recognize the voice speaking from the door to the left of her. A rough, English accent filtered the air. A small metallic clang softly reverberated off of the hardwood flooring of the room. The metal clanking sounded like footsteps, yet, the only footsteps she could ever remember being metal were Tony's when he was in his suit. Aside from that, she knew of no one similar and the voice definitely didn't register either.

"You must be afraid," The voice spoke again - obviously male, "I'm J.A.R.V.I.S," The voice sounded more mechanical the more it spoke, but something about it didn't seem entirely device-driven, "Or Vision, as most people at the Avengers Tower would address me."

Vision...

Something squeezed the inside of her chest, a violent gasp rippling through the room as she panicked, confused and terrified by this stabbing discomfort in her chest.

The new spectacle did not make himself a stranger in this situation.

Without even thinking twice about it, Vision darted over to (Y/N), a rather concerned expression laden on his face as he attempted to scan her over, trying to figure out what was wrong with her so he may be able to momentarily subside the pain. It was his job to protect those inside of the tower, not even a foreign life-form would cease him from doing so.

"I know you're scared," Vision spoke softly, somehow melodic in her ears as catastrophe probed her peace, "But listen to me, miss, just breathe," He squatted down beside her bed, left hand placed in on the middle of her chest, right hand placed at her temple, monitoring her pulse, trying to find a way to stabilize her both mentally and physically, "Breathe in and out,"

Demonstrating, Vision closed his eyes and expected her to follow along. As he inhaled, so did she. And as he exhaled, she followed suit. The fingertips on Vision's right hand kept watch on her pulse, recognizing the more she breathed in, the steadier it got. While mentally occupied with her pulse, his left hand made it a point to apply acute pressure to her sternum. While her heart was not a problem and he knew she was not struggling to breathe or recognize reality, he wanted to maintain a calm composure while instituting the pressure. This would allow him to feel slightly for a possible blockage or lump in her chest, if anything at all (which he was certain was absolutely nothing at all).

"Do all..." (Y/N) began attempting to speak between ragged breaths, "...people... of Earth... Experience this?"

Vision stared at her for a small moment - a fraction of a second, if anything at all - a small smile decorating his red lips as he attempted to keep her calm. While the smile might have seemed unnecessary, some part of (Y/N) felt relieved and comforted by his momentary kindness. He did not administer a response, but his immediate act of physical comfort made her feel safe.

And his name.

There was something about his name.