Chapter Thirty-Two

Something tickled the side of (Y/N)'s face as she awoke in the morning. She'd managed to wake up on her side, opposite of the window. The pounding in her head that had accompanied her throughout her first few days had finally ceased. She found herself smiling as her eyes opened, the warmth of the sun peeking in through the sheer curtains painted her black and white silhouette into a bittersweet orange.

She'd momentarily begun recollecting the mornings she would awake on Titan, when the wind would rip through her shack, but not enough to knock it over unless the atmosphere decided it wanted to be moody.

A brief moment passed where she basked in the solace and silence of the American morning. For once, the streets were not screaming, the traffic was not warning the world. Just for once, (Y/N) could hear herself think, could reflect on her breathing - could exist silently and without chaos.As peaceful as it had been, however, she knew it would not last. She was not on Titan anymore. Where she found brisk mornings, afternoons, evenings, and nights full of quiet and repose, she knew this was not Earth. This planet did not know moments without pandemonium.

As she fluttered her eyes closed and heard the first yell from outside, her fleeting hope filled the middle of her chest, suddenly tainted with despair and discontent. She'd never felt a parasite host her so quickly before.

Suddenly, as if the yelling outside could not have broken the silence more, a knock sounded on her bedroom door. This small gesture surprised her momentarily. She found herself alarmed that someone actually attempted to use courtesy, as opposed to the many times Vision had wavered into the room the day before, and where Tony did not hesitate to barge in when (Y/N) had been making an effort to rest or ignore the pain that infiltrated her body.

"Who is it?" Her hoarse voice echoed around the empty room, a small feeling of disgust and embarrassment filled her for a moment. Had she sounded like that the day before and not known about it?

The knob unlocked itself and entered the same metallic clanking from the day before.

"It's only me, miss," Vision's accent wafted into the room, tickling at her nose the same way the treats from pastry shops had at home, "I've come to check on you, as per Mr. Stark's orders."

For some reason, she felt her heart fall as he spoke.

Not a voluntary visit... Of course not a voluntary visit...

She couldn't understand why she felt so disappointed. This being was of no significance to her... Aside from the fact that his origins were also not from Earth and that she had connected with him much the previous day. Regardless, the reality of the fact was that she was from a completely different world; a different origin, a different species. There's no way she would have found herself comfortable with him if the roles had been reversed.

"I think I'm doing better today," (Y/N) said, sitting up in her cot, back pressed against the wood behind her as she tried to make herself presentable as opposed to how she presented herself in a lazy manner the day before, "I must say, the discussion we had-"

"You must be (Y/N)," A woman's voice spoke. (Y/N) could hear the thick accent but couldn't place its origin. Though, before the woman spoke more, (Y/N) noticed a faint red tint before the woman waltzed all the way into the bedroom. Vision was close behind her, hands clasped behind his back as his gaze fixated on (Y/N)'s, subtly warning her to be careful with what she says and how she presents herself.

"And you are...?"

The woman in red let out a small chuckle - sharp and cynical, almost laughing at (Y/N)'s lack of knowledge, "Wanda," The woman then brought up her right hand, a red glow coveting it after a moment, "Or Scarlet Witch. I prefer Wanda, though."

Wanda's self-presentation made (Y/N) uncomfortable, and the red pouring from her hand made her even more so.

Sighing, the bedridden girl decided to glance over at the sheer curtains again. Wishing she could exist in that small moment before Earth started screaming again.