Chapter Thirty-Nine

The digital clock sitting on the table by the sofa read 2:30PM.

Nap time was over for (Y/N).

While gradually waking herself up, she noticed there hadn't been any noise coming from the monitor, F.R.I.D.A.Y., or the keyboard. It was still and quiet. She couldn't even hear the sound of Tony's shoes clanking on the ground.

How long was I asleep?

She wondered, for just a moment, why Tony had not woken her up to begin diagnostics again. Any other time he was ready to study her, he'd neglected her unwillingness to cooperate and found some sort of loophole to convince her that it wouldn't take as long as it had the last time.

Boy, what a liar.

Every time since he wanted to start testing, the experiments got longer and the bloodwork diagnostics practically drained her entire body. If Stark had ever questioned why she was so lethargic, she would not hesitate to be rather petty and blunt in response.

She found herself surprised that unimportant questions had been asked as opposed to the observation that she was clearly exhausted and lacked rest a majority of the time.

Maybe he hadn't been in a comedic mood in the morning and it was likely to her that there would be no tests to run due to the fact that he came in, clicked away at his computer, and left (Y/N) to wake up on a sofa with no one in sight.

Maybe it wouldn't be so disastrous if I went back up to my room. Mr. Stark wouldn't begin so late.

Right?

Wrong.

He'd surprised her multiple times while she was attempting to enjoy her surroundings. Very quickly, she realized that going up to her room was more than likely an incredibly awful idea. Being scurried out of her own room made the want to be, in said room, unappealing and pointless very, very quickly.

So what had been the significance of Tony not waking her up? Any normal person would've described it as him being courteous and generous as a human being.

But (Y/N) wasn't a human being.

Were humans that generous even when they were adamant about something self-beneficial?

Thinking about it made her uncomfortable for some reason.

She wasn't from Earth and yet the savior's of it welcomed her into their home without hesitation or prejudice.

As (Y/N) sat on the sofa thinking of all the reasons why Tony never woke her up, a knock sounded at the door to the lab. For a moment, she got defensive. Hands ready to be thrown if it was necessary. However, thinking logically, she realized that there was little to no reason to be afraid in the first place.

She killed Thanos.

How could she be scared of anything after something like that?

"Good, you're awake."

Vision.

A sharp intake of breath filled (Y/N)'s lungs as the man entered the lab. It'd been a while since they'd said even one word to one another, let alone being secluded with one another.

"I don't think your companion would enjoy you being down here very much," She said as he had made it easier to see him so they could have discussion face-to-face as opposed to a tiny screen — a tiny technological device (Y/N) had never seen before.

"I don't see why that matters, Miss."

"I'm sure Tony would be distraught if she came in here and did the same thing to his expensive belongings as she had to my room."

Silence.

There was always so much silence between the both of them. (Y/N) couldn't find the words to say and Vision barely tried to make conversation.

"Why are you in here?" (Y/N) asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence that hung in the air; so potent she could taste it on her tongue.

"There's a discussion that needs to take place and you must be present," Vision crosses his arms against his chest, "I would ask if that's alright but I don't think you have any authority over such decisions."

His tone felt arrogant and angry. His words made him look and sound cynical.

What had changed?

At the beginning of her arrival, he'd done nothing but be kind to her. Even after the Wanda incident, he somehow still managed to have conversation and forget about that moment. But he couldn't bring himself to do it. She was harsh toward (Y/N) and he knew she didn't like it. Why was he being so unkind all of the sudden?

"I'll meet you where the discussion is being held. Where is it at?" She asked.

"The conference room on the bottom floor."

"Am I allowed to know the topic beforehand?"

He shrugged, "I don't see why not but I don't want to explain it simply due to the fact that just listening to it altogether would help it make more sense than anything, I would say."

Once again, she felt uncomfortable by his presence.

What was wrong with him?

Something wasn't right.

It was almost as if he had never existed in the first place.

Almost as if he wasn't real at all.