Chapter Twenty-Three

One day after another, Titan began to feel less and less empty. (Y/N) expected the Avengers to leave after Thanos' defeat. There was no reason for their presence any longer.

And she could still hear Strange's song.

As each day passed, it got quieter; faded from her memory ever so slowly as did his attention to her powers and the rest of her. Is that what that meant? Was his song deteriorating because of his lack of interest? Even so, that made little sense. She was a mutant. He was a mystic from Earth. He had duties and so did she, but that never stopped her mind from wandering.

"We haven't seen her for days," Peter mumbled while Tony finished fixing the last of the ship they'd wrecked, "Do you think she left?"

Tony scoffed, "Really, kid? This planet is her blood. She couldn't leave even if she wanted to."

The teenager huffed, crossing his arms in the process, "That's not true. She's visited Earth before."

The older man took his words as a grain of salt. He knew (Y/N) had visited Earth before and he knew that she could do it again. But was it safe? The United States would see her as a weapon, they'd use her as a weapon; make stories out of her, create scientific names for nuclear bombs from her skin. By definition, in every way she was a weapon. But by heart and humane reality, she was a creature who breathed and ate and slept and survived just like the humans the U.S. would use her to kill.

Of course... No one had to tell her that if they persuaded her enough. But how fair would that be to her? She'd broken her hand, sacrificed blood, existed and made an entire planet thrive just to save an entire cosmos full of beings that would hesitate to do the same.

"If she's smart, she'll stay away from us," Tony commented. A metal clank reverberated from his palm as he dropped a tool he'd found along a dehydrated bank a few miles away from their camp. "We're not a threat to her, but the people we stand for are."

Strange's eyes fluttered closed as he meditates beside the other two men. He knew as much as Tony did that bringing (Y/N) back to Earth and into the United States would only demote her existence to a "thing."

The sonata played louder.

He could feel her all the way across the land, could see her with his eyes closed. The hairs on his arms stood on-end, the nape of his neck reacted the same way. The image displayed in his mind was a real-time motion picture of (Y/N)'s current whereabouts. He could see her in her shack, her hand still swollen.

It stings...

"It stings." He repeated.

In his head, (Y/N) turned around, eyes widening as she had heard his voice as clear as day, but couldn't see him.

Tony and Peter looked to Strange, confused.

"What stings?"

Strange's eyes opened, his body that had once been levitating quickly fell onto the dry grounds of Titan. His chest had begun to rise and fall sporadically, the image of (Y/N) turning around and hearing him but not seeing him played vividly; almost as if he had it on repeat in VHS.

Why did he see her?

Why did she hear him?

Either the universe was trying to make him go insane or there was something seriously going on between her powers and his own.

But how?

She'd been alive for over a century. He was only in his late forties. There was no way a connection between them could've ever even existed. Before she killed Thanos, that was the only time they'd ever met.

The only creature intelligent enough to understand anything going wrong on Titan was her.

Was she doing this on purpose? Was Thanos' death a ploy to get at least some of Earth's defenders onto Titan so she could use her knowledge to the best of her ability?

She wanted to restore Titan so terribly.

Maybe there was a reason the Avengers hadn't left yet.

Maybe she was the real problem.

The power to kill Thanos most certainly meant that she had the power to revitalize an entire planet.

Or maybe she was Thanos.

And she'd only killed herself.