Chapter Fifteen

"They keep trying to help you," Thanos choked out, (Y/N)'s nails still dug firmly into his throat, her eyes full of rage, "Why... won't you... let them?"

A dark red hue filled her eyes, a sinister smile decorating her lips, "You'd like that, wouldn't you? The ability to kill more?"

A smirk crossed his face, thoughts rummaging through his mind. How simple it would be to grab her and throw her across the planet only to take hold of the other three and suck the life out of them completely. But that would be too easy. A challenge would suffice in his eyes.

"You know," Thanos' eyes fluttered shut and (Y/N) felt his chest rise momentarily, almost as if he was saving up some rather large gust of air. Without warning, his right hand came up from beside him and wrapped around her throat. This action caused her hand to fall limp around his neck, a gasp exhausting itself from her lungs, "Titans were always so sensitive. Always made me sick to my stomach."

"You're a monster," She choked out, small hands clawing at the claw tainting her oxygen supply, "It's unbelievable how after all this time you haven't come to terms with that yet." 

His eyes bore through her. If possible, a hole could've been carved straight through her forehead. He had no means of looking away, no means of dropping the conversation, and no means of allowing her to live. How could he? The last Titan remaining with incredible powers that could kill him and everything he's worked for in an instant? 

It'd be so convenient for Thanos if he knew that. 

"We're not so different from one another at all, little one," He spoke. His voice became oddly coddling, as if he was trying his very best to satisfy any emotion inside of her that resembled sympathy, "You grew up without parents, without a purpose or inspiration. You--" 

There lay little truth in Thanos' words. Throughout the many years that (Y/N) had been alive, not once did she feel like she was living without reason or without inspiration. Every single day was a new beginning to her. Her parents' absence made it difficult at first, of course. Why wouldn't it have been? A young girl left to fend for herself--only herself--on a planet that would soon crumble to ashes just like her people had simply screamed difficult. But she made it work, just as she had promised the ashes of her parents. 

"Every single day," She choked out, the veins in her neck becoming rather prominent as Thanos squeezed tighter on her throat, "I awaited you. I...I learned from our libraries...and...and our labs," A light purple hue started to surround the very edges of her face, "My inspiration--my reason to live--was to kill you."

A small spark erupted between the smallest space where Thanos' hand had been and (Y/N)'s neck had slowly been crushed. A hissing noise spilled out of the larger Titan's mouth following this, and a gasping noise erupted from (Y/N)'s lips as she fell to the ground rather harshly. Cracking noises rippled through the air as her chest landed on the dry dirt. Broken ribs were sure to ensue but this had been the least of her worries. 

She had him right where she wanted him.

He probably practiced this very moment for years and years. He probably thought he knew every single outcome. There had been millions and millions of them and it only took (Y/N) five seconds to completely change the way Thanos' history would play out. 

Standing, (Y/N) let the wave of pain she'd been trying so hard to suppress completely overtake her. The small spark that had shocked Thanos and made him saunter backward caused a small glow to leave its mark on the very part of her neck he'd been grasping. As the pain coursed its way throughout her entire body, a brilliant orange glow started to overtake her palms. The light resembled that of flames, dancing across her palms, snaking their way up to her fingertips only to stop and turn into orbs, floating just above her nails. 

"I can only assume you thought you had this whole situation figured out," (Y/N) coughed out. Straining to speak made her ribs hurt, but she had to have the last word--needed to, "Titan's are incredibly empathetic. How could we not be? We grew up with technology that seemed so far out of our reach and we were expected to keep that to ourselves? Our main government might have seemed selfish to you, Thanos, but no one could be farther from a Titan than you." 

This was it. This was the moment she'd been waiting so long for. The look on his face filled her with glee; she'd never seen such a large being so terrified of something so much smaller than him, someone so insignificant in his eyes. His fear permeated the air, almost like a rather potent scent wafting from a kitchen where its workers forgot things expired years ago. 

"You never knew fear," (Y/N) breathed, the orange that encompassed her fingers soon filled her pupils, "Did you?" 

Walking forward with rage in her heart and a literal fire in her eyes, she left no time for second-guesses. She knew what she needed to do. He was right there, so vulnerable, so broken, so scared. She'd been waiting over a century for this one moment. The one moment in all of Titan's history that would build life from Thanos' genocide. 

He would never know the true definition of mercy. 

Thanos' only mercy was his own. 

And she would show him that.

Again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Until he felt the same suffering she had felt for all of her years alive. 

Until he could no longer plead.

Until he could not breathe.

"You want balance?" (Y/N) breathed in with distaste, eyes closing as her right hand came up to the middle of Thanos' face, "I'll show you balance." 

Snap.