Prologue

Krypton

"Jor-El." The voice called to him, Jor-El looked up as the great golden doors before him swung open allowing him to enter the council's chambers. He took a step forward entering the presence of the supreme council of Krypton. He took a deep breath before stepping forward. The surrounding eyes gazed at him intently. The guards took a step inwards keeping their eyes fixated on Jor-El. He looked up as the high councilors greeted him.

"Welcome Jor-El." The high councilor, Jul-Us, nodded to him as he entered, "Please make your case to the council."

Jor-El took another deep breath, he felt the sweat gathering on his forehead, "Greetings, supreme council of Krypton." He nodded to them all and bowed his head, "I come with grave tidings. After much research, I have discovered that our planet is in grave danger."

The council shifted a bit uncomfortably, but most stayed silent as Jor-El continued, "Our planet's core is unstable. We have long wondered what the cause of the Green Plague was, the sickness killing thousands of Kryptonians, but I have evidence that it was caused by unstable radiation from Krypton's core. The core is becoming increasingly dangerous and soon our planet will be destroyed from the inside. It was only increased by the loss of Kandor."

"We are working on tracking that problem, Jor-El. You warned us of it once before." Another councilor spoke, "You were correct then, we should have listened. Perhaps if we had, Brainiac would not have taken one of our cities and half of the high council."

"We cannot worry about that now." Jor-El shook his head taking a step forward, he felt the glare of the guards intensify, "Krypton is doomed unless we act. If we take precautions to leave the planet, perhaps we may be able to escape. But we must take the genetics lexicon with us, I plead with you to allow me access to the lexicon to save the information and begin preparations to leave the planet."

"We cannot simply give you the Lexicon." Jul-Us exclaimed taken aback by Jor-El's request, "Nor can we simply evacuate the entire planet! We have too many sick, too many misplaced."

"Sir, if I could." A voice spoke from behind Jor-El, he turned seeing his old friend, Dru-Zod take a step forward. 

"General." Jul-Us looked to him with a curious expression, "What do you have to say?"

"Allow me to begin preparations." General Zod asked taking a step forward, "I can begin our preparations to leave, we can use the old terraforming technology to change any planet at our whim."

"The terraforming will not work. We tried it once, we know it will not work again." Jor-El retorted, he was surprised by Zod's claims. He was attempting to undermine him.

"It can and will work. What would you have us do? Starve to death on our ships?"

"There are other ways." Jor-El turned towards him angrily.

"I agree with Jor-El. We have tried terraforming. It ended disastrously." Jul-Us nodded taking a step down into the lower platform of the chamber, "We must try another way. I will allow you access to the Lexicon." He nodded to Jor-El, but Zod angrily took a step forward, the guards did nothing to hold him back.

"No." Zod shook his head, "I am tired of this council's inability to act. First Kandor, now Krypton? No. I will not allow this." Zod took a step towards Jul-Us, Jor-El widened his eyes attempting to move forward, but the guards held him back. Zod grabbed Jul-Us by the throat and stabbed him in the chest with a spear. One of the councilors let out a scream of horror as Jul-Us collapsed dead. Zod raised his weapon and the guards around the council turned towards them too with their weapons raised.

"ZOD!" Jor-El yelled as the guards restrained him, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"

"Saving us." Zod turned towards Jor-El shaking his head, "This planet needs a leader capable of making the decisions needed. This council," He pointed to the five councilors in their stand, "Is unable to provide that."