Chapter Four: The Watchtower

The Watchtower, 5/5/18, 4:09 PM

Diana sat down as she felt the shame within her. Wonder Woman and Wondergirl both attempted to track their attackers, but it was no use. They were gone within the hour without a trace. Worse yet, she had allowed that witch to break her sword, the Godkiller. It was her birthright, her weapon that she had used for years upon years. Yet just like that she broke it. What kind of metahuman had that sort of power?

"What do we do?" Cassie asked as the two sat in the Watchtower. Vibe was on watch duty whilst most of the League was off on assignments. Diana considered calling Dinah, but she was meeting with Secretary General Harrison today and was also reportedly on another assignment. 

"We do our own investigating." Diana narrowed her eyes standing up and moving towards the windows, "They were looking for something... the blonde one, he mentioned the word asset."

"What is the Fridge?" Cassie asked looking to her as Diana turned towards one of the nearest computers. Diana sighed as she entered into the Justice League database bringing up the Fridge's file.

"There is still much we have not told you." Diana said glancing towards her quickly, "The League has many installations around the world that are top secret. Few know of their existence. The Fridge is one of those..."

Cassie was silent. Diana could feel her brooding from miles away. She sighed pointing to the hologram as it popped up, it was the Fridge's layout.

"As you know, when one of our own dies we have a burial. Usually it was in Mount Justice, but since then we've moved it to the Watchtower." 

"Right." Cassie muttered nodding and following along.

"We don't really bury the bodies here. We send them to the Fridge. Its our morgue essentially. Wayne Enterprises ran it along with Star Labs to examine any bodies of metahumans taken in. We, as Leaguers, all had the option of donating our bodies after death to allow for more research. Some took that option, others didn't."

"So its just one big coffin?" Cassie asked sitting back, "How come we never knew about this?"

"We didn't want to have children's bodies put inside. Whenever a member is inducted into the League, they are asked. You haven't been inducted yet." Diana swiped down on the screen bringing up an inventory of the bodies inside, "The Fridge also holds some super villain bodies or creatures from off world or that have been mutated. Its all for research."

"So what do you think they were looking for in there?" Cassie asked scratching her chin, "Someone's body?"

"Possibly, but clearly they didn't find it." Diana nodded as she looked through the list.

"So what about those that didn't want to donate their bodies?"

"They had the option of choosing where they wished to be buried." Diana went on, "There's only a few Leaguers that took that option that are gone." She began reading through the list, "Arthur Curry, Hal Jordan, Carter Hall, Clark Kent, John Stewart-"

"Wait a minute." Cassie's eyes widened, "Clark Kent?" 

"You don't think they were...?" Diana's eyes widened, "The Phantom Zone Projector."

"Thawne stole it for a reason..." Cassie nodded looking up at her with fear in her eyes, "Those were..."

"Kryptonians." Diana finished her sentence, "We need to find them. Now." She turned towards the zeta-beam platform and began walking.

"We can't take them on ourselves!" Cassie argued moving after her, "That one broke your sword! With her bare hands!"

"We aren't going after them." Diana shook her head turning towards her, "They were after Clark's body for whatever reason. We need to get to it before they do."