Chapter Two: New Metropolis

New Metropolis, 5/5/18, 9:09 AM

It was a sunny day for the meeting. Dinah stood inside the Hall of Justice. The redesign of the building had been in the works for months and finally it was completely finished. It was as modern as ever in design, but had a touch of the old Hall to it as well. Statue of the founding league members stood in a semi-circle facing the great windows on the outside. The building was placed in a huge white marble plaza with fountains and gardens leading up to it. Dinah watched from inside, next to her stood Cyborg and Black Lightning. The three stood together watching from inside, the streets were lined with police as a helicopter landed in the plaza. People lined the streets, paparazzi and citizens watching as the Secretary General of the United Nations of Earth stepped out, George Harrison. He smiled as he stepped out waving to the many watching his arrival. 

Dinah remembered Harrison from the days before Darkseid's invasion. He was a good man, smart, kind, and thoughtful, which made him a target. She sought to preserve his well being and keep him in power. His position in the new UNE made him one of the highest ranking individuals in the world. He was flanked by many black suit security guards, his own secret service. The UNE's leaders consisted of a panel of seven, the Secretary General leading that panel, the first was George Harrison given his position before the invasion. His leadership got the world back together and to its stability now, but Dinah knew how these things worked. All governments contained corruption, the UNE's was lurking somewhere, luckily Harrison was not a part of it. That just put a target on his back though.

Harrison was flanked by two other members of the panel. On his right, Edwin Garish, an Englishman who represented much of western Europe. Dinah didn't know much about him, but she figured she would in the coming minutes. On his left, Jessica Ross, a Brazilian representing much of South America, one of the most chaotic regions in the world at the moment. Clearly Ross was attempting to fix that, but she was not making clear progress.

The group began walking towards the great doors of the Hall of Justice walking past memorials for the fallen as he made his way up the steps. Dinah breathed in deeply, this meeting was important. What they were about to discuss would affect the League for years. They had to keep their cool with politicians. That was why Diana had to stay up on the Watchtower, she was not known for her calm attitude around politicians or anyone with an agenda. 

The doors swung open as the security team made their way in first and allowed the three to enter. Harrison, Garish, and Ross all walked in smiling at the Leaguers. 

"Secretary Harrison, Garish, and Ross." Dinah smiled, her mask clung to her face as she spoke. She felt herself getting more nervous as the seconds ticked, her heart beat fast, "Welcome to the Hall of Justice." 

"It is a pleasure, Black Canary." Harrison smiled walking forward with his hand extended. Dinah reached out too and shook it smiling at him as he gazed at her eyes, "Black Lightning and Cyborg too." He smiled shaking their hands as well, Garish and Ross did the same and Cyborg led them into the conference room. The three sat on one side while the Leaguers sat on the other.

"We all know why we're here so why don't we get straight to it then?" Harrison asked looking around the table with a smile, "The League and the UN were long time friends before the Invasion. They had clear cut rules and decisions made between them. Now we must find out what our relationship will be."

"You're absolutely correct." Dinah smiled nodding back to them, "I believe in the prospect of the UNE and so does the rest of the League. We wish to help the world as we always have."

"And you will." Garish nodded leaning forward, "The Justice League has saved the world countless times. We wish to form a friendship that will last for many years. However..." Garish took a minute to adjust, "We must have rules. We have seen how rogue heroes can negatively effect society. We need to have clear cut rules between our two bodies that prevent any future disasters."