Chapter One: The Watchtower

The Watchtower, 5/5/18, 2:33 PM

The view from the Watchtower had always been impressive. Cassie often used it whenever she needed time to think. She couldn't imagine a better time than now. It felt as if it had been ages since her return to Earth, but in reality only been ten days. In that time so much had happened that she could barely begin to think on it. 

The Justice League and the Team held burials for the ones they had lost. Cassie could barely believe how many had died in the time they were in space. The heroes they lost were large in number, so many were gone that the League decided to designate a new burial site at the old Mount Justice ruins since many other bodies were already there. The new Hall of Justice was built in New Metropolis, the city built in place of the rubble of New York. It was as if they had barely changed Booster Gold's ominous prophecy of his version of the future, a world with few heroes left.

The earth seemed small from the view of the Watchtower. Impressive, yet small nonetheless. The situation on Earth was growing restless, the United Nations of Earth were gaining dominance slowly yet surely, the League was closely monitoring the situation. North America, Europe, and Asia were quickly able to be monitored by the UNE, but the other less developed areas of the world that Darkseid's invasion had ravaged, were still filled with different warring groups. Groups of criminals, politicians, and soldiers all vying for power over their various ruined states. The world was slowly rebuilding, but Cadmus' attacks certainly did not help it. 

"Cassie." A voice spoke behind her, a familiar one. Cassie turned slowly catching sight of her mentor and teacher, Wonder Woman. Cassie felt as though it had been too long since the two had spoken. Diana always seemed to know what to say to Cassie, both had been through so much in the past few years. Cassie always saw the pain in Diana's eyes, but she never really understood it. Now she did.

"Yes?" Cassie asked softly as Diana moved up next to her staring out at the planet below. The two stood in silence for a few moments, watching.

"How are you?"

"I'm okay." Cassie lied. 

She felt Diana's hand grab hers as she turned to face her.

"I know what you're going through." She said slowly and carefully staring into Cassie's eyes, "I know the feeling of grief, especially losing someone you love."

Cassie shut her eyes looking away for a moment. Diana sighed and pulled her in embracing her.

"I will always be here for you." She said clasping Cassie's hair in her hand, "We are the leaders here now. We must work together."

"Code Yellow! We have a Code Yellow!" A voice came on over the radio, "We need a dispatch team ASAP!"

Diana took a step back for a moment and raised her hand to her ear, "Vibe? Is that you? What's wrong?" 

"Wonder Woman!" Vibe sighed in relief, "I have no Leaguers available right now, I need a team in Gotham! Actually...it looks like a Wayne Tech building is under attack..."

"Wayne Tech?" Diana raised a brow and looked to Cassie in confusion, "Wondergirl and I are on it, don't worry. Do we have any intel?" She turned moving towards the zeta-tubes, Cassie followed close behind. They both needed this. In fact, Cassie couldn't really remember the last time that the two went on a mission together as partners.

"It looks like the... the Fridge is under attack... I'm not sure by who though." Vibe replied in confusion.

"The Fridge?" Cassie asked tilting her head as they reached the zeta-tubes, "What's that?"

"No time." Diana shook her head stepping onto the platform, "Come on. Lets go."

***

Gotham, 5/5/18, 2:54 PM