Cultural Acceptance

Tumblr Request: Requested by anon: "Okay okay could I have one where Jason has a Jamaican s/o and the Batfam love her culture and her hair because she has dreads??!!!"

---

Honestly when you first started dating Jason, you were terrified to meet his family. You hadn't a clue what they were like outside of what you'd read in magazines and saw on the news. People could be cruel and would judge you based on stereotypes. Even to this day in age, racism was still around and would find you.

Though it substantially decreased when you met Jason. If someone so much as even looked at you the wrong way, they'd have their teeth knocked down their throat. So, that was a bit reassuring when he promised his family would love you and everything about your culture.

And he was right!

His family absolutely adores you! They love every single thing that comes with your culture and, much to your surprise, your hair as well. Steph and Babs always asked to play with it and Cass quietly observed. Steph asked how they felt and if it'd be weird if she got ones similar, saying you guys could be 'hair twins.'

It made you laugh when she asked, and your laugh made Jason's heart flutter. He was ecstatic that you got along so well with his family. But, he didn't expect how much more time you'd be spending with them.

It felt like you guys were always at the manor now. He was starting to be driven a little crazy at being around his family so much. Though, luckily he could escape to the kitchen and cook with Alfred. Tonight the tables were turned and Jason was teaching Alfred a recipe you had taught him. It was a family recipe you learned and also your favorite Jamaican dish.

While he was cooking, you sat on the couch as Steph sat in front of you. Your hands worked braids into her hair as the rest of the family, minus Bruce, sat around chatting with you.

"So.." Dick started, "[F/n] do you visit Jamaica often?" He leaned forward, resting his arms on his knees. You nodded, "I do quite a bit, but I wish I could be there more often. It's beautiful there."

"I wish we could see it, but we never get a break from superheroing" Steph huffed and rested her chin in her hand. Nodding you tied off one of the braids. "I wish you guys could too. Jason's actually going with me on my next trip there. He's going to meet some of my family members that live there."

Tim rose an eyebrow, "He never told us he was going."

"He hasn't? I could've sworn he said he did." You thought as Steph jumped up to sit next to you, playing with your hair. "He could've told Alfred and Bruce and it never got spread to us" She shrugged and you nodded. "I bet that's what happened." Babs assured.

Right then, Jason came in the living room. He wiped his hands on a towel as his eyes fell on you. "Hey babe, come taste this to make sure it's right?" Asking as his eyes glanced at his siblings before going back to meeting yours.

"Of course" Standing up and meeting his side, you headed to the kitchen.

You sighed took his hand, squeezing. "Hey, have you told Bruce about you coming to Jamaica with me?" He was surprised by the question but shook his head. "No, I haven't gotten the chance. He's been away on a league mission. I've talked to Alfred about it but I still have to tell Bruce."

Nodding you looked up into his eyes and wrapped your arms around his neck. "What if we ask them to come there with us? Only for a few days, so they can see what it's like. They've all been so supportive."

Jason sighed and rubbed your sides. "I...Sure, only a few days though."

A wide grin grew on your lips as you hugged him tightly. "Thank you! You're the best boyfriend ever." He chuckled and returned the hug before leading you the rest of the way to the kitchen. After tasting the food you clarified a few of the following steps before going to rejoin the family in the living room.

Grinning, you reseated yourself next to Steph. "So, if I were to offer for you guys to join Jason and I for a few days in Jamaica, what would you say?"

Everyone was shocked but Damian was the first to speak up. "[L/n], are you playing games?" Chuckling, you shook your head. "No, being 100% serious."

Everyone grinned. "Oh my gosh! That'd be so amazing!!" Steph grinned and hugged you. Dick was smiling ear to ear goofily. "That'd be so awesome! We just have to convince Bruce." He looked over at Tim who nodded.

"Convince me of what?" Bruce asked as he walked in the room with Jason and Alfred. Dinner must be done. Standing you walked over and hugged Jason's arm, looking at his adoptive father. "Would you all like to join us for a few days to Jamaica when Jason and I go to see some family of mine? You've all taken such an interest in my heritage, I'd love to share more of it with you."

"Jamaica?" Bruce questioned and looked around at the kids.

"Come on Bruce, a few days won't hurt, even Batman needs a vacation." Dick stood and walked over to him. Tim was the next to speak up, "Yeah, I can't remember the last time you took a break. But then again I can't remember the last time I slept." That made Steph hit his arm, "That's not a thing to be proud of!" She scolded and everyone chuckled.

Well, everyone excluding Damian. "I'm surprised you can remember an hour ago." He said snarkily before Tim rolled his eyes. Used to the comments of the youngest Robin.

Chuckling you looked over to Bruce. "Well?"

Bruce thought for a moment. "I don't see why not. I could talk to the league, maybe get Clark and Barry to keep an eye on things." Grinning you let go of Jason to hug Bruce. "It will be so much fun. You won't regret it!"

Bruce rubbed your back before pulling away. "Let's talk more over dinner." Nodding you watched as the family gleefully headed to the dining room. You were about to follow but Jason stopped you. Turning to him, his arms wrapped around you.

"You're amazing" He looked down at you. Chuckling and rubbing his back you answered, "I know."

Rolling his eyes he kissed your forehead. "I mean it. You didn't have to offer that, but you did." Shrugging, you squeezed him tighter, "I love your family Jason, almost as much as I love you. I want them to be as much apart of my culture as you are."

He sighed and nodded, "I love you." Grinning you answered, "I love you too, but come on." A smirk replaced the grin, "I want to see how you did on dinner."

Chuckling he joined you to the dining room. "You do realize Steph is going to want to get dreads like you, right?"

"Oh, I know" You laughed and nodded. "I can't wait."