My Universe

Prompt: "Imagine your OTP has a newborn child. It was a long day at work for both Person A and Person B and they're exhausted. Suddenly, at 2 am, they both hear the child crying through the baby monitor (or just across the hall) and B nudges A to go tend to the child. A lazily walks through the hall, stumbles into the nursery, picks up the child (and after checking to see if it's fed, doesn't have a dirty diaper etc.) sits down in a rocking chair. They gently start singing "You Are My Sunshine", and taking a breath to simply admire the baby between each line."

Song used: You Are My Sunshine (Jasmine Thompson)

Warnings: Reader's inability to get pregnant.

---

One of the hardest things you ever heard was when your doctor said you couldn't have children. It broke your heart because you always wanted a family. So, when you and Jason began trying but having no luck, it was the last thing you wanted to hear.

It started conversations with Jason you'd never thought you'd have to have. Were you to accept what your body wasn't allowing. Maybe you would try a surrogate. Jason sighed at that option, "I just... I either want our baby to have both our genes, or none at all." He reached across your dining table and held your hand. "Then what Jason?"

His thumb ran over your knuckles. "What if we adopt? I know first hand how life changing that could be. Honestly, when we first started trying, I was wondering if it was the right choice with all of the homeless and parentless kids out there."

Your eyes softened when he said that. "Why didn't you tell me that?" Asking as he watched his thumb rub your hand. After asking his blue eyes flickered up to yours and he shrugged, "You were so excited about having a baby of your own. I didn't want to upset you."

You gave him a weak smile before looking down at his hand holding yours. "And look where that got us." He squeezed your hand before tilting your chin up so you looked at him, "This isn't your fault [F/n]. It was out of your control."

Nodding you squeezed his hand again and he brought it up to his lips. "Think about it." You nodded once more before standing up. "I'm gonna take a shower." He stood up and kissed your cheek. "I love you."

Before pulling away you mumbled back an 'I love you' and walked to your bathroom.

After some thought and a few more conversations with Jason, you finally decided to begin the adoption process. There were a lot of check-ins and looks into your pasts by the adoption agency. It worried you a bit, you knew Jason wasn't exactly squeaky clean. But with some explanation of a few things and a few little white lies, if his death is a little white lie, it seemed everything was in order.

It took a few months for all of that to happen but when the day came you'd be meeting your adopted son, you were terrified. "What if he doesn't like me? I'm not his mom Jason, his biological mom. What if he hates the apartment?"

Jason chuckled, "[F/n] calm down. He's a baby, only a few months old. He doesn't even know how to pass judgement yet." Looking over at you from where he was driving. Sighing you nodded and tried to calm down.

During your drive to the courthouse where you'd be signing the final papers and finally picking him up to take home, you were a bit calmer. A large part of that being Jason giving you reassuring words. You wondered how he was so calm and collected.

"Jason?" You called, looking over to him. "Hm?" He hummed, keeping his eyes glued to the road. "How aren't you nervous?"

Sighing he glanced over at you before back to the road. "I just know he's gonna love you doll." He smiled with another glance. "I didn't ask if you were nervous about me. Aren't you at all nervous, or scared?" You squeezed his hand a little harder than normal. Telling him you want the truth.