Coffee And Scones

Tumblr Request: "Hey could you do one where Jason Todd has a baker for an s/o and first meets them at their bakery when he's running errands for Alfred?"

---

A sigh escaped your lips while pulling out a cake fresh from the oven. You set it aside to let it cool before going back to the cookies you were decorating. It was about 7 am and you were getting some of your early orders done.

You yawned while decorating the cookies shaped like turkeys on the tray, using yellow, orange, red, and brown frosting. Suddenly you heard the bell in the front of your shop ding. Wiping your hands off on your apron, you walked back out to see a handsome man in a leather jacket looking into the case with donuts and cookies in it. "Good morning, can I help you?"

He looked up to see you and sent a quick, polite smile. "Hi, I was wondering if I could check up on an order?"

"Oh yeah, of course. What's the name it's under?" You pulled out a notebook from under the counter. "Alfred Pennyworth"

You looked down through the names on the list before stopping there. "Ah here it is, 2 dozen turkey cookies." You smiled up at him. "You must be one of his grandsons." Jason was taken aback a bit before rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh uh, I guess in a way.. You know Alfred?"

Nodding you smiled. "He's one of my regulars. Always drops in for a cup of tea and a biscuit a couple times a week. Tells me about you and your three brothers. I'm guessing you're..." Your eyes scanned him up and down. "...Jason?"

He smiled and chuckled. "That's me. How could you tell?"

"He said you're the second oldest and your older brother has come in here before. So I put two and two together." You grinned back at him and looked back down at the notebook. "I was just working on those cookies, they should be done and set in about two hours if you'd like to stop back in then." Jason looked around and shrugged. "Could I order a coffee and just hang here?"

"Oh, yeah of course. What can I get you?"

Jason ordered a black coffee before sitting down at one of the small tables in the bakery. You smiled and bit your lip before going to make the coffee. When you brought it out, you also set down a chocolate chip scone. He rose an eyebrow at the scone, but you winked. "On the house."

Jason watched your back as you headed back into the kitchen. He couldn't help the smile that pulled at his lips as he looked into his coffee cup.

A couple hours later you had finished the cookies and were placing them gently into boxes. Jason had finished his scone and coffee about an hour sooner. He was reading a worn out copy of Pride and Prejudice. You picked up the boxes and walked them over to his table. "Here ya go, two dozen turkey shaped cookies."

Jason smiled and closed his book, sliding it in his back pocket. "Thank you" He stood up to take the boxes in his arms. You smiled and took a step back, "Of course, I hope you and your family enjoy them."

He nodded and adjusted the boxes in his arms. "We will, I'll see you around." He said before heading out of the small bakery. You bit your lip and smiled to yourself while watching him leave before headed back to the kitchen.

A few days after your encounter passed, a relaxing Sunday afternoon rolled around. You always only worked Sundays alone, wanting to let your workers have the day off. You had a few customers in the bakery, sipping lattes and nibbling at scones.

While finishing up a cup of tea, you heard the bell dinged. "Welcome to [F/n]'s Bakery, I'll be with you in a moment." You called without facing the register to finish the task at hand. Once it was finished you called the order and set it up on the togo shelf. Finally facing the register you spotted two familiar faces. "Hello Alfred, and good to see you again Jason."

Alfred smiled at you. "Good afternoon Miss [F/n], how are you?"

"I'm good, and how many times do I have to tell you [F/n] is just fine."

Alfred smiled at you before your eyes flickered to Jason. "And I see you have a guest." Jason smiled at you, "the chocolate chip scone was so good, I just had to have another."

Your grin widened as you looked down at your feet sheepishly. "Thank you, same things as last time?" Both men nodded and you turned to begin making everything. They headed to a table and took a seat.

Jason couldn't help but watch you behind the counter, when he looked back at Alfred he was smiling at him. "Hm?"

"You are fond of her."

Jason's eyes widened and he averted his eyes. "That's crazy Alfred." He chuckled nervously but Alfred eyed him. "I may be an old man but I'm not crazy. She likes you too, I can tell."

"Really? How?"

"I just am good at these types things."

A few seconds later you came over to the table and dropped off their drinks and snacks. "Okay, I hope you two enjoy." Shooting a smile at them both before turning and heading back behind to counter to work on some orders.

Alfred continued to witness as Jason stole glances at you and smiled to himself. Once they finished their meals, Alfred got up to use the restroom, leaving Jason alone at the table. When you saw Jason alone, you took a deep breath and walked over to him.

"Did the scone live up to expectations?"

Jason looked up at you. "It did, thank you. You're an amazing baker." Smiling you played with your fingers. "Thanks, um... I'm not a half bad cook too if you're interested. Would you want to have dinner together sometime?"

He was silent for a moment and it made the nervousness in your gut begin to swell up, but when you saw him smile it turned into butterflies. "I'd love to, but on one condition."

"What's that?"

"We make it, together."

A grin flourished on your lips and you chuckled in relief. "Sounds great, this Wednesday?" Jason nodded and smiled at you. "Wednesday."

From around the corner, Alfred smiled proudly before walking out. He knew that was going to happen.