A Letter Necklace

This was a birthday gift for a friend!

---

Birthdays were always fun. You got to spend time with friends and family, it was a whole day dedicated to you. But there was always one part you looked forward to the most, that was whatever surprise your best friend Jason Todd had planned at the end of the day.

Once he took you to see fireworks, another time it was going to the zoo at night, last year he took you stargazing. He always figured out the best ideas to make the day that much more special. However there was always one gift from him you wanted but never got. That was an actual date. Jason's your best friend but you've had deeper feelings for him since he told you he was the Red Hood.

The knowledge that your super hot best friend was also a sexy vigilante that saves lives every night. It sealed the deal. However, you never made a move because the friendship you have is too important to risk it.

But, you couldn't help but wish for that one date again as you blew out the candles on the cake your mom brought out and all your friends finished singing. Laughing you looked around as everyone clapped. "Can we eat this already?" You grinned as your dad brought in ice cream and plates.

After cutting the cake, and shoving a piece in Jason's face you opened presents.

You tore through wrapping paper, gift bags, and envelopes until everything was opened. That's when you looked at Jason who had a cocky smirk on his face. "My turn" He held out his hand and you happily took it.

Most everybody knew of your tradition and didn't question it as you slipped on a jacket and followed Jason out to his bike. Securing the helmet over your head, you wrapped your arms around his waist. Taking notice of his hard abs underneath your hands, that was a plus. You always have loved riding his bike.

"Ready?" He asked through the mic in his helmet.

"Let's get this show on the road Todd" You feigned annoyance but laughed right after. Making Jason smile before taking off down the road. The speed of the bike made your arms tighten around him, the adrenaline bringing a grin to your features.

You watched as the houses and trees sped by you. Almost becoming a blur as the speed of the bike increased. The roar of Jason's motorcycle blocked out everything other sound. You could understand why he liked riding it so much. The sights and sounds so simple. Everything except the road a blur, and only the sound of the roaring engine. It was almost peaceful in a chaotic sort of way.

However that peaceful chaos soon came to an end as Jason pulled into what you assumed to be your present.

Once again it didn't disappoint. There was a blanket laid out on the edge of a cliff that looked over Gotham. A basket held food that you assumed he made himself and it was all lit by candles scattered around the blanket.

"Jason" You breathed as you took off your helmet. "This is amazing."

He smiled and set his helmet on the seat of his bike. "Yeah, this is where Bruce took me after he first found me. I thought you'd like to see the skyline at night."

You nodded, "It's beautiful. Almost makes Gotham seem not dangerous."

Jason chuckled and nodded. "Yeah, I guess it kinda does." He smiled before looking at you and taking your hand, leading you to the blanket. "So I made your favorite, but I also have something else to give you."

Your head tilted to the side as you eyed his hand in his pocket. "What is it?"

He chuckled and gave you a small box wrapped in red paper with a red bow on top. "If I told you, it wouldn't be much of a surprise." He sassed while watching you take off the bow and stick it to his nose, making him roll his eyes as you laughed.

You started to take off the wrapping paper to find a small jewelry box. Removing the lid you found a necklace inside. It was silver and had a small pendant with the first letter of your name on it than beside it a small bead of your birthstone. "Jason.." You took it out and held the pendant and bead in your hand.

"I know it's not much, but I had it made special." You shook your head. "Jason this is gorgeous. Thank you."

He smiled and nodded. "I actually had a question for you too. It goes with the necklace."

"What is it?"

"I was wondering if next weekend we could go out and do something, but not as friends?" He asked, a bit of nervousness was laced in his tone.

A smile twitched at your lips, "You mean like a date?"

He nodded and searched your eyes for an answer, but you never spoke a word. Instead you leaned forward and pressed a short kiss to his lips. "Does that answer your question?"

A wide, beaming smile spread on his lips. "It does." Your nose brushed against his once more before you kissed him again and he pressed his lips against yours.

You pulled away a bit, "Jason?"

He pulled away to meet your eyes and hummed in question.

"Thank you. This has really been an amazing birthday, I got something I always wanted."

"What's that?" His head tilted a bit.

With a gentle smile, you took his hand. "You."