Chapter 11

Joann's POV

Me: What's wrong? Ross?! *sobbing* Please tell me!

Ross dropped the phone.

I looked him in the eyes. He looked like he was about to just drop. He whispered, "She's dead." 

I yelled back, "WHAT?! Ross tell me!" 

"She's dead! She's dead!" he cried. Ratliff, Rocky, and Riker patted him on the back while Rydel hugged him.

Rocky: We need to get back to the house!

I kept crying to the point where I was hyperventilating. I almost died myself. But I couldn't call my dad, because he would have killed me.

Me: I have to get back there! I'll take my car.

Ross: You can't go alone!

Me: I have to! All of you can't come Ross! Six people can't fit inside one damn car! I need to go by myself!

Rydel: You need us to support you Joann! Just let us! Please!

Me: I can't even--

Rocky: Everyone just TRY to fit in the car, I'll drive.

We all tried to fit, but Rydel had to sit on Riker's lap. I sat in the front and we were on our way. We entered the destination into the GPS and it said it takes seven and a half hours to get there. I just couldn't wait to get back to Maryland.

8 hours later

We had finally arrived.

My apartment building was still on fire. I ran out of the car and tried to get in contact with an official. Ross followed.

Ross: Officer! Officer! I need your help! My friend was stuck in this fire! Where is she!

Officer: 12 people were just escorted to Johns Hopkins hospital. We still think there are people in the building, but for now you have to stay off of the--

Me: Let's go, let's go, let's go! We have to get there!

Rocky didn't know where the hospital was so I drove. We got there and I ran to the reception desk. I asked the lady at the desk if Kayla Coleman was signed into the hospital. She took forever to check, but then she told us that she was. We weren't allowed inside her room so we had to wait inside the waiting room. I started to sob and Ratliff gave me a hug. 

He whispered, "Everything is going to be alright. Trust me." 

Rydel also comforted me. We sat there all night, but we had to be dismissed. We couldn't be allowed in her room until the next day. We checked into the nearest hotel since we didn't use the tour bus to travel from Ohio to Maryland. All six of us couldn't fit into a room, so we checked into two rooms. I slept in the same bed as Rocky while we shared the room with Ratliff. Riker slept in the same bed with Rydel and shared the room with Ross.

As we slept in bed, I looked up at the ceiling. Tears kept shedding. Ratliff looked at me and told me again that everything was going to be alright. Rocky told me to be calm. He gave me a hug and didn't let go. I felt so good, but so bad. The warmth that was radiating off of Rocky's body made me feel safe. I felt bad, because Kayla and I had gotten into an argument right before the incident.

Now, she was gone. Forever. All I could do was pray.

I held Rocky close and fell asleep.

The Next Day

Everyone was exhausted, so only Ross and I went to the hospital. When we arrived, we asked the lady at the desk if we could go to Kayla's room. She told us where it was, checked out our ID's, and we ran to the room. The nurse was in the room.

Me: How is she! What happened?

Nurse: I don't know, you would have to ask the doctor ma'am.

We sat down in the room and looked at her. She was all wired up. The doctor came in an hour later and explained to us that she was in a coma. She had inhaled a great amount of smoke. I cried while Ross just stared at her. His eyes were tearing up, but he didn't cry.

Ross: She was different Joann.

Me: I know Ross! But why did it have to be her? Why did she have to be there at the time?! I should have been there.

Ross: Joann, all I know is that she's going to be okay.

Me: All your family says the same Ross! What if it's not!? She's in a coma!

Ross: I just know Joann! She's still breathing, so we still have hope.

I wasn't sure what to believe. I just gave Ross a hug and whispered thank you. I looked at Kayla and gave her a kiss, and walked out of the room crying.