Chapter 13

The Next Week

Joann's POV

I got a call from the doctor saying that Kayla was awake and that it was okay for me to come see her. I knew R5 was coming that week (because they had a concert in North Carolina) so, I had everything planned. I went to the hospital, checked in, and went straight to Kayla's room. She was sleeping so I sat there and watched her. I got tired of watching her so I tapped her arm. She opened her eyes slowly and looked confused. Suddenly, the doctor walked in.

Doctor: She hasn't been saying anything for the past 24 hours. We are thinking that it has something to do with her traumatic experience. She should be talking soon.

Me: How soon?

Doctor: It's not 100% guaranteed she will start talking soon. Some patients take a week, some take years. It all depends on her state of mentality. But when she wants to open up, she will.

Me: Okay. (I looked over at Kayla) Doctor, can you please excuse me?

Doctor: No problem.

When he left, I looked at Kayla.

Kayla: Who are you?

Me: Kayla! I'm so sorry! I should have called you! I shouldn't have left you alone at home on your birthday! I'm just... sorry

Kayla: But who are you? I don't know you or why you're in my room. (looks around) Where am I?

Me: No! Oh hell no! Kayla! I'm your sister! You have to listen to me! What's happening? Oh gosh.

I felt nervous and my stomach was in knots. How was I going to tell our dad? I just felt like curling into a ball and crying. I grabbed my phone and called Ross.

Ross: Hello?

Me:(talking really fast) Ross! I don't know what to do! I'm freaking the hell out because Kayla just woke up, but she doesn't remember anyone! She doesn't even remember where she is or me!

Ross: She has amnesia?!

Me: I don't know! I think. (sobbing) But what am I supposed to do

Ross: I just can't keep running back and forth from Maryland and back! I can't come until we're on break!

Me: Fine. I'll call you later! I have to go get the doctor!

I hung up and yelled for the doctor. He didn't show up. I ran through the halls calling for the doctor. He came out of a room with a file in his hand.

"My sister! She's awake! And she doesn't know who I am!"

"Calm down. Let me just go in and see her, okay?" I nodded and moved out of the way so the doctor could go into the room. I followed and Kayla looked at us with a curious expression.

"Hey Kayla. How are you feeling?" the doctor asked.

"Who are you?" she asked him. He looked a little annoyed because she didn't answer his question but he looked at her with concern.

"I'm your doctor. Your sister told me you were awake and I had to come check in with you." he said.

"I don't have a sister. I want one, though. And a brother. My mom says I can't yet because she is still going to school. But Meme (pronounce meh-meh) says one is coming really soon." The doctor looked at me with confusion.

"Meme is her grandmother." I said. The doctor nodded his head and looked back at Kayla.

"Did I do something wrong? I don't want Mom to call my dad. I like him coming 'cause we go to the park. I don't want him to yell at me." The doctor pulled me out into the hall.

"Your sister seems to be going through a severe case of amnesia. She will be okay but she pretty much forgot everything that has happened since she was younger." I choked down a sob and nodded.

The doctor continued to talk to me. "You can't pressure her right now, you just need to stay away for a while until her parents introduce you to her again. She might get her memory back in a few days, weeks, months, or even years. It's all on how her brain is built up." I nodded again and the doctor walked back into the room to ask Kayla some questions. I walked into the waiting room and sat in a chair to call my dad and Kayla's mom.

It was time I had to tell them what happened.