Chapter 17

Ross's POV

"Good night everybody!" 

We walked off the stage and went to the table to do meet and greets. That lasted about 2 hours even though it felt like 2 days.

I love my fans and all but I just wanted to go to North Carolina. 

That way, I would be able to see Kayla. 

Rocky and I walked onto the bus and I went to talk to him but he just got in his bed and closed the curtain. I went to hang out with Riker, Rydel, and Ratliff but they were busy talking about North Carolina with Mom and Dad. Ryland was watching a DJ on the TV. 

So I was utterly alone. 

I reached for my phone to text Kayla but then I remembered. 

She doesn't remember me. 

I went to Rocky's bed and pulled back the curtain.

"Dude, I'm bored." Rocky didn't even look up at me.

"Go text your girlfriend." The way he said it made me flinch. 

"I don't have a girlfriend." 

"Well, neither do I so what do you want me to do?" He closed his curtain again as I stood there shocked. 

What happened to Joann and Rocky? 

"Rocky. You have to talk to me. Don't lock up your feelings. Talk to me, bro." Rocky didn't say anything as I waited. When he still didn't say anything, I sighed and walked to my bed which was across his. I checked my twitter but then turned off my phone and got up. I walked over to my parents and sat down.

Mom: Hey Ross. 

Me: Hi.

Rydel: What's wrong?

Me: Rocky.

Dad: Why? How?

Me: I think he and Joann broke up. 

Rydel: Noo. I liked her.

Me: That's not the point, Delly. The point is that Rocky is starting to shut people out. He won't talk to me anymore.

Mom: Let me go talk to him.

She walked off in the direction of Rocky's bed. I looked at Dad. 

"Are we still stopping in Maryland?" Riker and Dad are look at me like I'm crazy.

"Why should we now? Kayla doesn't remember you and Rocky and Joann aren't even together anymore. There's no point." Riker pointed out and I started getting angry.

"There's no point? Are you serious? That's why we have to go. To get Rocky and Joann back together and I need to be with Kayla. I want to help her get her memory back. She couldn't have forgotten about me. I was her best friend just like she was mine!" I slid to the ground. 

"She can't forget about me.  I can't afford that." I whispered to myself. We all sat in an awkward silence for a while before Rocky and Mom walked back into the room. He had a blank expression on his face and stared off into space. 

The sight scared me. This was not the brother that I knew. I got my phone and pulled it out. 

"Yeah. Hey, Joann. We need to talk." 

______________________________________________________________

2 DAYS LATER

Joann pulls the car up in front of a big house. I walked out and she pulled away, not wanting to see her father or Kayla's mom. I hesitantly walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. No one answered so I rung again. When no one answered the door the second time I turned to call Joann but the door flung open.

Me: Kayla?

Kayla: Who are you? How do you know my name?

Me: I'm Ross.

Kayla looked at me carefully and smiled. 

Kayla: I know you. You're the guy on my posters. You're in that band right?

I looked at her and smiled sadly but was disappointed. She only knew me by my face. She didn't really remember.

Me: Kayla, you were my best friend. Please tell me you remember me.

Kayla looked at me this time with confusion.

Kayla: That doesn't seem right. I can't be best friend's with someone famous. 

Me: It's true though. We met at the end of my concert. You were crying and your sister wanted to make sure you got to meet us before we went to Ohio. 

Kayla: I don't remember that. Can you come tell me about it? 

I nodded my head and followed her in but I was jumping for joy inside. She wanted to know. I thought she would push me away. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a platter. She walked back out onto a porch and sat down. She patted the spot next to her and I went and sat down next to her. 

"So how did I meet a famous group of people?" Kayla asked. I told her the story that she told me, no more than 4 weeks ago. She smiled but had confusion in her eyes. 

"So Joann really is my sister? We were really close too? But my dad made it seem like she was a bad influence." Now it was my turn to be confused. But then, a light bulb went off in my head.

"Let's look for some photo albums. Maybe they'll help you remember." She nodded her head and we looked around the house. We found a big one with a picture of the family on the front and sat on the couch in the living room. Kayla looked at me and I nodded my head with encouragement. She opened the book to see a picture of her. Above it, it said "Kayla: Born July 13, 1996". The next page was of her mother taking her home. 

The next twenty pages were about her childhood from when she was a newborn to 3 years old. Then, her brother, Josh, came into the story. Kayla and Josh looked very close when they were younger. Most of the next pictures were of them. Then, Noah was added when she was about 8. Two days after to be exact. 

As we looked through the photo album, we saw vacations, birthdays, and holidays. When we closed the book, however, there were no pictures of Joann in the book. Kayla was disappointed. I got up to put the book back when something caught my eye. It was a pink book with white daisies on it. I picked it up and brought it back to the couch. Kayla looked at it and hesitantly opened the book. 

The first picture was Kayla and Joann in pretty dresses. They looked about 3 and 4. 

"That's adorable." Kayla blushed and I nudged her shoulder. She flipped through the book looking at each picture of her and her sister. 

"Oh my gosh. Joann. I remember her! She's my best friend!!!!"