Chapter 24 - Please Just Listen

Demi's POV:

"Time to wake up, Emily." I said as I gently shook Emily awake. "Morning, baby girl." I said to her as she opened her eyes.

"Morning. You're not pissed anymore?" She asked.

"No, but you do need to get up. We'll go into the kitchen and get some coffee, then have a nice long talk."

"Oh, goody." She said with fake enthusiasm.

I walked with her to the kitchen and poured as each a cup of coffee.

"Thank you." She forced a smile.

"Sure." I smiled back.

"So, do you want to tell me why you were at the party last night?" I asked her.

"Not really." She replied.

"Let me rephrase that. Why were you at that party last night?" I asked Emily.

"I wanted something fun to do and everyone was talking about it.

I sat down beside her and said "everyone who?"

"In the lobby. Everywhere people were talking about it. I wanted to be known as something great. I don't know. It was stupid."

"Look at me." I lifted her chin up, so she was looking directly into my eyes and I proceeded with "it was not stupid. Honey, I know what it is like to want to fit in. To never feel like you're going to be good enough. I get that."

She just stared at me with a blank look on her face.

"I love you. Honey, you don't need to drink or smoke to earn my love. You don't have to do anything. All you have to do is be you."

"But this is me." She replied.

"I know it's hard. I know that this is probably not something that just started after I adopted you." I told her.

"I'm just not used to wanting to do what people say or having people actually care enough about me to want to protect me." She said.

"Oh, honey. I know." I embraced her in a hug. "I love you." I whispered into her ear.

"I love you, too." She whispered back.

We pulled away and I kissed the top of her head.

"Why don't you go wash up? It's almost time for breakfast."

"Oh, goodie." She got up and headed to the bathroom.

Emily's POV:

I went to the bathroom and washed my hands.

I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO BREAKFAST, just to be clear.

I came back to a strong smell of cinnamon and sugar. Lots and lots of sugar.

"What is this?" I asked.

"I made cinnamon rolls." She said as she put a cinnamon roll on a plate and sat it in front of me.

"I'm really not hungry. I had a big dinner at that crazy ass party last night."

"Nice try. You need to eat." She replied as she sat across from me.

"Come on. Try them, they're good." She said as she cut off a little piece with a fork and put it into my mouth.

"Don't be afraid. I didn't cook them. They're store bought" She said, jokingly.

She shook her head and smiled.

"How was it?" She asked.

"Fine." She said, the mumbled under her breath, "for food".

She gently patted my back, then sat beside me, cutting up my cinnamon roll with my fork and putting another bite into my mouth.

"Thank you." She said, sarcastically.

She kept doing that until I finished my cinnamon roll. Each bite worse than the last.

I held my stomach and said "I feel so bloated".

"I know, come on. We have a big day ahead of us." She said as she grabbed my hand and led me to our room.

Thanks for reading!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

Please vote and comment if you did enjoy this chapter.

What events do you think should happen for Demi and Emily?

Have a great day!

Love y'all!