t h i r t e e n ~ Cotton Candy Kisses

Kayla nudges my shoulder and smiles. Her eyes flash with amusement. I frown and scribble down the next bullet point.

"Come on Pretty Boy, it's just a question."

"A question I'm not answering."

"Yes you are."

"Kayla, I'm not going to tell you who is the best in bed." Because I don't remember all of them.

"But I want to know."

"Why?"

"Call it curiosity."

"You've got some twisted logic there, Good Girl."

"Comes with the job description."

"Of what?"

"Of being screwed up, duh." I stop writing and turn to her.

"You're not screwed up." 

She just purses her lips. "I asked you a question," she states. 

My eyes scan the side of her face. "I'm not answering."

"Just give me a name!" she whisper yells.

"I'm not giving you a name!"

"Pretty Boy."

"Stop whining."

"Stop staring at my face." I jerk eyes away and pick up my pencil again. Kayla breathes out a light laugh.

"Something funny, Ms. Michaelson?"

"In this class? No," she mutters. I snort and grip my pencil tighter for half of a second as I try to stop my laughter. "No, Mrs. Williams," she calls.

"And you, Kyle?" I look up and glare at her.

"Do you really want an answer?" I ask Williams. She frowns, carving canyons into her face.

"Pretty Boy," Kayla whispers. I glance at her quickly before looking back at Williams.

"Do you really want detention?" Williams mocks.

"Try me. Do you really think I'll actually show up?" I cross my arms across my chest.

"You show up here every day." I can feel everyone turning to look at me now.

"I'm not here for you or this class, I'm here for her," I jerk my head towards Kayla. The whispers start immediately. Shoot. Why did I say that? Kayla drops her pencil to clasp her hands together. My eyes flick back towards her. She squares her shoulders then looks up and smirks at the class. She leans back in her seat, keeping her expression intact. But beneath the desk her hands remain clasped.

"Well then both of you can share detention." Kayla's face flickers. I stay silent this time. The bell rings and people stand up, whispering about us as they move.

"Kayla get up," I whisper.

"W-what?"

"Get up, if you don't want the detention slip we need to move with the crowds." I stand up and shove my notes and my pencil into my pocket. I grab Kayla's binder as she stumbles to her feet.

"You two, come up here."

"Screw the crowds," I mutter. I grab her hand with my free hand and take off running across the room, tugging her behind me. 

"Do not leave this room!" I just laugh and pull us out of the door. We turn down the hallway.

"Pretty Boy!" Kayla yelps. I glance back. She stumbles with each step, lost somewhere in between my strides. I spin her around in front of me and steady her against some lockers. She looks up at me with wide eyes.