f o r t y t w o ~ Cheap Revenge

Kayla plants her feet and tugs me through the door to her bedroom. I stumble inside and she kicks the door shut behind me. I turn to watch her over my shoulder and the little black crop top that keeps exposing the skin above the waistband of her jeans, with her frantic movements. She grabs my hand and spins herself around in front of me.

"Come on where is it?"

"Where's what? La La what are you going on about?"

"Danny," she whines. "Hatchet said you have pot."

"What?"

"I know you have it."

"La La I don't-"

"It's in your pocket, isn't it?" Kayla lunges forward and wraps her arms around me. Her fingers slide into my back pockets and I jump away.

"La La!" I shout. She looks up at me to pout.

"Danny please. I just want to get a little high."

"La La, I'm not letting you get high."

"Why not?"

"Because...because the smoke will stay in this room and someone's gonna notice!" She grins and runs over to the window. She shoves her fingers under the window and throws it up.

"Problem solved!" she calls.

"That's not going to solve everything," I try. She rolls her eyes and crosses the room again. She picks up the blanket from the floor by her closet and runs over to the door. She bends down and stuffs the blanket under the door.

"There you go," she says. "Now come on, hand it over." Kayla runs back over to me. She grabs my hand and pulls on it. "Danny."

"La La I'm not giving you weed."

"Why not?"

"Because La La..." I trail off.

"See no excuses. I know you have a joint on you somewhere." Kayla reaches forward again. I grab her hand and force her back a step.

"Kayla, no." She pouts again. "Weed isn't going to fix anything. Whatever's going on right now isn't gonna change."

"Just give me the weed, Danny."

"It's not gonna fix anything!"

"I don't care! I don't give a shit alright!" she screams. I close my lips and look down at her. "Just work with me here," she sighs.

"I can't," I breathe. She looks up at me, her eyes searching. I feel my throat run dry as I try to swallow. She steps closer.

"Danny," she whispers. I lean down, impulsively moving closer even though I know I shouldn't. Her fingers slide up my jaw line and against my cheeks

"La La." Something in her seems to break at the sound of her name. I watch as the glass shatters across her eyes. And then she squeezes her eyes shut and leans forward. She eases her lips onto mine. I groan softly and bring my hands to her waist. She pushes into me softly, her lips folding around my own. Her hands leave my face as her tongue runs along my bottom lip. I kiss her back, slowly. Knowing we shouldn't, but not caring about this broken promise. My own tongue presses against hers. She sucks in a breath, pulling away. I will my eyelids to flutter open.

She stares at her feet and then flicks her eyes up to mine, a smirk painting her lips. Her hand raises a joint to her lips and her other one brings a lighter up. I blink, not moving as she lights up. Slowly she tilts her head back to inhale, her eyes fluttering shut as she does. Then she pulls the joint away and I wake up. I reach forward, snatching it from her hand.