f o r t y t h r e e ~ Burn The Witch

"Kayla!" I shout, shoving a body out of my way. I think they stumble to the side. But the blonde girl doesn't turn around before slipping through the doors that lead to the school. I push my hair back and spin on my heel. I drag my feet back to the bleachers and duck beneath them. Ryder looks up.

"Well?" Ryder asks. "She'll come around."

I take a seat in the dirt. "You don't even know what happened," I bite. Then I wait a beat for his refute, for him to tell me that he knows exactly what went down.

"You're right, I don't. But I know Kayla and she'll come around." I scoff and roll my eyes. Ryder doesn't say anything else, he just pulls out a cigarette and lights up. He doesn't offer me the pack and I don't ask for one. I just lean my head back against the metal and look up through the slats. My fingers drum against my jeans.

The first bell rings and I sigh before standing up. Ryder doesn't voice anything as I leave the bleachers and head to the school. My eyes scan the hallways for a blonde head among the ranks but I don't catch sight of her. I slip into my first class and take my seat in the back.

I still don't take notes or participate, but I do make a point to pay attention. When the bell rings, I hurry through the door and out into the hall. I walk away from my next class, searching for Kayla again. Come on, La La. But the hallway is empty and I spin around hurrying to my next class. The bell rings as I step through the door. Nobody comments on it, and I don't know if they no longer see the point or if something on my face warns them. I sit through the class and barrel out into the hall when the bell rings. Again I walk away from my class in search of Kayla.

"Kyle!" I freeze at the voice, silently begging that it's not some chick looking to get laid. A hand closes around my forearm and I look down to find Lynnara. My eyes widen. Someone bumps into her and she stumbles forward slightly, catching herself before she falls into me.

"Lynnara?" I question.

"What happened?" she asks, jumping straight to the point and ignoring the fact that we never talk without Kayla.

"What?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Between you and Kayla. What happened? She's been all jumpy and fidgety all day." I furrow my eyebrows.

"Is she okay?" Lynnara's eyes widen as she looks at me.

"I-I don't know." I sigh and look away from her, searching the halls for a blonde head once more. "What happened?" she pleads. I move my eyes back towards her and open my mouth. But all I can see are the scars on Kayla's shoulder. I wince and turn away.

"I can't," I say. Next to me, Lynnara seems to brace herself.

"Did you... did you hurt her?" I whip my head back to her.

"No! I would never."

"I had to ask!" I force myself not to wince at her words.

"Lynnara-" I start slowly, though I'm not sure if I mean to tell her that I'm not that kind of guy or ask why the thought ever crossed her mind.

"Look sometimes she flinches alright? And sometimes, if you poke her too hard she makes this, this sound," Lynnara explains, seemingly freaked out. I bend down, bringing my eyes down to her level.

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing! I'm talking about nothing. Just tell me what happened last night and I'll be out of your hair." I just shake my head a her.

"I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Because it's not... I don't... ask Kayla." I stumble through the words.