f i f t e e n ~ For Jack

I slap my hands on the worn down wood and lean forward over the bar.  The bartender doesn't look my way. He's busy down on the other end. I'm not exactly in the mood to wait around.

"Hey Buddy! I need a shot of Jack over here!" I call. The bartender glances my way quickly and nods. Then he turns back to the customer in front of him and slides a drink across the bar.  I shift my weight to lean completely against the bar. My foot taps impatiently against the floor. The bartender tosses a rag over his shoulder and grabs a bottle of Jack. He walks my way and I watch as he pours the liquid into a shot glass. He hands me the shot. I down it in less than two seconds. Then I hold the glass back out to him. "Go ahead. I need another round." He sighs and refills my glass. As long as you know what your ordering here, they don't card.

He walks back down the bar, and away from me as soon as he's done. I shrug and knock back the alcohol. Ryder walks up to the bar beside me, he's got a bottle of beer in his hand. I turn to him and raise an eyebrow. I did not come here for social hour, I came to get drunk. Ryder does not seem to care.

"Hey Kyle," he says. I glance dejectedly down at my empty shot glass.

"Ryder."

"I've got a question for you." Why?

"Okay."

"Who is Kayla to you?" I almost send my shot flying across the bar. But I somehow manage to swallow harshly and set my glass down on the bar, before turning towards him.

"What?" I manage.

"You just don't treat her like the other girls. She's different or something."

"She's blackmailing us into a bucket list."

"Originally, yeah sure. But now she's more of a little sister to me than anything else. So I'm curious, who is she to you?"

"Just another girl." I shrug. "Danny, please!"  I clench my jaw and raise a hand to wave the bartender over. 

"You sure?" I turn my head back to Ryder. What is he getting at?

"Look man, I'm trying to get drunk here."

"Alright but just listen to me for a second here," Ryder says. He grabs my shoulder and turns me towards him. I release a glare. ¨She is not just another girl. Remember pinning Dominic up against the bleachers? You know her. And I might be the only one smart enough to figure it out, but you do know her. So I just want to know, does she know you?¨

"We met at the party. The one she got arrested at.¨ I shrug and turn back towards the bartender, who still hasn't come back over to me. 

"What happened at the party?" Ryder presses.

"We talked. Now unless you're paying for my next shot, we're done here."

"Okay, I get it, whatever." He puts his hands up and backs away. He takes another sip of his beer then walks over to Dominic, who is sitting at a table away from the bar. I should not have come here with them.

"Hey bartender!" I holler. The guy comes over and looks at me.

"Just get me four more shots and a Guinness," I say. He pours the whiskey and grabs me a bottle of the beer. I slap some cash on the counter to get rid of my tab and down the first shot. Then the second. I pick up the third and stare at it for minute before knocking it back with the others. I know as soon as these shots hit my system I'll be a little more than buzzed, but at the moment I don't really care.

I grab the fourth shot and down it. I slam the glass back down to the wood and spin around. My eyes scan the entirety of the bar until they settle on Ryder and Dominic, still at the same table. I leave the glasses on the bar, grab my beer, and walk over to them. I rest my forearms against the table and lean against it.