o n e s h o t ~ Venom

Dominic's POV

I pull the beer out of the fridge and step to the counter where I set the bottle opener. I pop the top off as a little giggle echoes down the hallway. Kayla? I look to the clock it's four in the morning. I force myself to smirk at nobody. Someone's getting lucky. I take a full swig of the beer in my hand.

"Mini Nic," she breathes from behind me. I feel my shoulders tense as I yank the bottle down and away from my lips. I turn around to face her. She stands at the very edge of the hallway with wide eyes. My eyes scan slowly down the length of her, catching her white knuckles around the black strap of that blue duffle bag. I raise an eyebrow and glance to her face.

"What are you doing, Princess?"

"I-"

"La La?" comes Kyle's voice from behind her. "You aren't forgetting anything right?"

"Pretty Boy," she says, her eyes still on me.

"Don't. You. Dare. Call. Me. That," Kayla growls.  She shoves her finger into Jax's chest with every word.

"You made up ridiculous nicknames for us," Jax retorts, placing a hand over his chest.

"You don't have the right to call me that. You're not him," Kayla snaps, her voice is a threat in itself. Jax backs up, raising his hands in surrender.

"Alright, alright, geez," he mumbles.

"No you don't get it. You will not use that name, ever. I don't care who the heck you think you are." Kayla shoves him back into the metal of the bleachers, and he moves with the force of it. "Any other nickname is up for grabs. I don't care what else you come up with." I've never seen a girl that mental.

"La La?" I echo, my eyebrows slamming into my hair line. In the corner of my eye, I see Kyle step up beside her.

"Dominic," he says. I look to him, noting the backpack slung over his shoulder as well.They aren't coming back. I drop my eyes to Kayla's hands which lay clasped together in front of her.

"We were just-" Kayla stumbles. I cut her off, not wanting to wait around for some halfway decent lie.

"You know each other," I state. Kyle is the only guy to call her La La. I don't look away from her hands, knowing they mean she's nervous. Kyle reaches in front of her. He slides his hand in between hers, separating them, something I never even considered doing.

"Mini Nic," Kayla states. My eyes move to their bags again before I look to her face. Go. Get out of here, Princess. I swallow back any trace of feelings.

"I've been asleep for hours," I tell her. She blinks.

"What?" I keep going. If I stop, I'll never let her go.

"I came back completely wasted and crashed. You must've left sometime in the middle of the night." It's not all a lie. Her lips twitch upwards slightly, just barely hinting at a smile. Yet I feel my heart pound anyways.

"Mini Nic I-" I shake my head at her, offering my own half-hearted smile.

"Go. Get out while you can." My eyes flick to Kyle once, but he's only looking at Kayla, just like he always is. She tugs her hand out of his and walks forward. Then she wraps her arms around me. I freeze, rigid in her grasp with no conception on how I should react. But my eyes fall shut and I inhale, breathing her in one last time trying to remember this. I try to ingrain the strawberry shampoo scent into my memory. I try to memorize the feel of her in against me. I try to remember everything.

"Thank you," she tells me. Then she presses her lips softly against my cheek, but she doesn't pull back. "Find your brother. He misses you," she whispers. I throw my arms around her, yanking her into me with more force than I thought I had here and now.

"I will," I answer. Kayla's arms loosen around me. I force myself to peel myself off of her. She pulls away completely, backing up into Kyle. She grabs his hand again and the two of them walk to the door. I watch as they look at each other and set their keys on the counter. Kyle opens the door and steps out, pulling Kayla behind him. She looks back over her shoulder and smiles at me. A real, genuine smile. Then she turns her head away. I watch the red ends of her hair swing out. The door closes behind them. I bring the beer back to my lips and down another gulp.

"Bye, Princess," I whisper to the walls of this empty apartment. None of them answer. They stare back at me in silence. I finish the bottle, leaving it empty on the countertop. Then I walk down the hall, straight to my room. I lay down on top of the blanket and stare at the ceiling. I gulp air down my throat silently. I felt something for her. I still feel it. I throw my arm across my eyes. She's never coming back. Kayla Jae Michaelson is gone. I drag my arm away from my skin and I'm barely able to make out the outline of the snake on my skin. The tattoo she chose. I blink. She was never gonna stay.